Sturdy LED Backlight Monitor (23"+)

lothia

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Hello,
I decided to purchase a Samsung SyncMaster PX2370 for ~$250 and while it works great for the location I am using it, it is just not stable enough for the way I type. I care less about the look of the monitor as much as I care about the color quality and stability. I would be willing to go up to $400 if I could get something that is superior and while I would rather stay at the 23"-24" I would be willing to get a second 27" if it was superior.
As well perhaps it is the quality of my desk I am using, it is a glass top (cheap ~$200) but large enough for the small space I have to hold my multiple systems. However it looks like it may not be all that sturdy with my power typing as a hole, so if anyone has a suggestion for how to make it sturdier (putting some item over it or perhaps a specific accessory can be attached to monitors to keep them from moving I don't know, that would be a welcome suggestion as well).
Thanks again

To Review:
1) Looking for a 23"+ monitor that is high color quality and sturdy (doesn't move a lot when typing) for less then $400 but preferably around $250.
2) If there are any accessories/options to attach to monitors/desk to make things sturdier.
(Desk looks like this but is glass (they don't have it anymore) http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11300023&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|1892|3207|53380|51875&N=4041717&Mo=11&pos=3&No=5&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=51875&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC31437-Cat53380&topnav=national)

With the T24A350, you'd have the option of using a separate stand or monitor arm, because it has 75mm x 75mm VESA mounting holes. The PX2370 does not - in fact, for reasons unknown to me, it has the DVI, HDMI, etc. ports in the middle of the back, making normal stand/arm alternatives unusable.

i've seen that desk before. its not what i would call extremely sturdy and vibration resistant. if you bash hard enough at the keyboard you're liable to make the whole desk move or vibrate. this naturally will cause the screen to shake/move.

putting rubber feet on the bottom of a monitor if it doesn't already have them will cause the screen to remain in the same position but will not stop excessive vibration. you might notice a tiny bit on improvement.

if you are worried about monitors tipping then get a monitor with a large base. i know the one viewsonic pro has a three prong base that it sits on. this style is very resistant to tipping/moving. it will do nothing for vibration though.

if you want to stop any and all vibration to the monitor then your only real choices are to mount the monitor on an arm attached to the wall, flatmount a monitor to the wall, to secure the desk to a stable object to reduce vibration, or to move the keyboard/type in a less forcefull manner.

lothia

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Thanks for the input, first I will admit that I couldn't justify the extra cost of the T24A350 as I would never use the tv capabilities are there any other options that have a great color ratio and perhaps are not a TN type (I didn't realize mine was until after I purchase it).
The other option I am looking at is returning my current desk and going for a Galant from Ikea which from what I have heard works great for most people as its sturdy and large enough to suit there needs. Mine is currently 23" deep and with a 27" monitor + this new 23-24" and having the keyboard in front having a 32" depth might suit my needs better.
So in everyones opinion would that be a better option?
I guess for what I need (potential future mounting) I would need both a new desk and monitor. So any feedback on both would be greatly appreciated.

having a very stable desk is always a good idea. much more reasonable then trying to justify spending money on a new monitor when it will not solve your problem one bit. don't feel bad shelling more money if you are getting something heavy duty.

TRENDING THREADS