I have been looking at building a new pc for ages now, but huge cost has slowed my decision making! I want excellent performance that will last for a good 2-3 years. I'm looking at a complete overall of my old pc to freshen things up, but see bottom for further detail of old pc if interested!
NEW POTENTIAL PC - PLEASE ADVISE:
* Asustek Radeon HD 4870x2 2GB DDR5 CC750MHz PCIE 2xDVI
* Antec Black Twelve Hundred Tower Case ATX no PSU (Not a big fan of LEDs at night, but need extreme cooling for gfx card, any alternative suggested?)
* Thermaltake K7/K8/-4/775 BIG TYP RET (Tons to choose, any better out there?)
* OCZ Technology EliteXStream 1000W PSU (Expensive, but lots of cables, extended warranty, powerr etc)
* Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 12M Cache S775 1333MHZ (12m cache main deciding factor, but is this worth paying extra for?)
* Corsair Memory 4GB (2X2GB KIT) DDR2 1066MHZ 240PIN DIMM UNBUFFER (Going for one that includes fans, but also seen this at cheaper price without fans and could buy fans seperate: Corsair Memory 8gb (2x4GB KIT) DDR2 1066MHz CL5 (http://www.shop.bt.com/productview.aspx ... nKey=11150)
* Asustek S775 INTEL X48 ATX AUDIO LAN RAMPAGE FORMULA (pricey, any cheaper alternatives that are just as good?, or is DDR3 worth paying even more?)
* Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA 16MB (windows hdd - seems best choice for money, agree?)
* 2 * Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA-300 32MB (all the storage I'll need for a few years! currently using close to 1.5 TB)
* Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-111-AS)
* AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3700BNBOX) (CP-121-AM)
* Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (3056) (GX-047-CO)
-> Eventually RMA'ed after much hastle to a Powercolor HD 3850 GDDR3 512mb. I intend to sell this as new, as not opened.
* Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
* Yeong Yang YY-0221 Cube Server Case -Black, Purchased additional THERMALTAKE A1280 12CM CASE FAN- front of case.
* 3 x Cooler Master AF9-25IM-74 Case Fan (92x92x25mm) - 2 back for hdds side of case, 1 side next to cpu.
* Antec TruePower 2.0 550W PSU (CA-028-AN)
* 2 x HITACHI Deskstar E7K500 HDS725050KLA360 (0A31619) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
* 2 x Maxtor MaXLine Plus II SATA 250GB Hard Drive, 8MB Cache, 7200RPM, Model: 7Y250MO.
* Creative S750 7.1 Speakers
* Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 230Sb 22inch CRT
* BENQ DVD±RW DUAL LAYER 16x6x16x8x DW1640
* Logitech MX510 Mouse
* Zippy My Office Multimedia Keyboard
* Saitek P2600 Control Pad
From the above, I am likely to keep the speakers, the soundcard, the monitor, the DVD drive, the mouse, the keyboard and the control pad. However, I am not averse to a complete overhaul! So any improvements over these will be appreciated.
So what do you think where should I make changes? I havn't set a particular budget, just interested in getting a high end pc to perform great on games when I play them and for some lastability, though I understand anything past 2.5- 3 years is hopeful!
I am also intending to buy a monitor to replace my 22" CRT. CRTs are great for variable resolution and no dead pixels, but I figure it might be time to move onwards, particular with HD in mind! I will probably be buying a 42" HD Panasonic in January Sales, but this is too big for typical use, so will only really be a bonus for some driving games or movies. What do you recommend?