NEC EA232WMI vs LG E2370V IPS Monitors

captvash

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
So I am building a workstation that will be utilizing color correction and graphics work. Naturally, I need an IPS monitor.

I'm not working for Pixar, so I don't need an insane display, just something >$300 that gives me accurate color readings. I also will be using this workstation about 10+hours a day, seeing how I'm a bit of a tree huger and don't like pouring my money in the trashcan, I'm looking for an LED back/side-lit IPS.

So I did my research and I have narrowed it down to two monitors. They're about ~$10 different from price so it's really just a question of brand, connection, and minute specs.

NEC EA232WMI
23" W-IPS 1,000:1
I've read conflicting reviews that this monitor is a 6 or 8 bit depth, but seeing how it's basically just an LED version of the EA231, I'm assuming it's 8 bit like it's predecessor.
2x DVI 1x DP
http://bit.ly/f2a0N2

LG E2370V
23" IPS 1,000:1
1x DVI 2x HDMI 1x DP
http://bit.ly/gag782

So right off the bat I lean towards NEC just because of the name. It's a pretty widely accepted standard by professionals. BUT then I found out that LG actually makes the screens for HP's IPS monitors...which baffled me because the only other competitors in my mind to NEC were HP and Dell.

Secondly with connections: I will be running a Palit 2Gb GTX 560Ti which has 2x DVIs and 1x HDMI port. I am using 2 other 27" Asus non IPS monitors for my day to day stuff. I'd like to keep them both connected to the 2x DVI ports on my graphics card to keep an even look to each of them. I feel like I may not get a consistent image with the 2x 27" monitors if one of them is HDMI and the other is DVI. With the NEC I'd need to use the DVI port since my graphics card doesn't have DP, and I'd like to stay away from any HDMI/DP or DVI/HDMI converters since it may alter the signal.

So ok to wrap it up my big question: Is HDMI a suitable port to use for color correction/graphic design on an IPS monitor? That and does anyone know if there are major differences between the LG or NEC monitors and can suggest one?

Actually, this is what I see for the ea232wmi and related model in TFT Central's panel search:
NEC EA231WMi 14ms 23"WS LG.Display e-IPS (LM230WF2-SLA1)
NEC EA232WMi 14ms 23"WS LG.Display e-IPS (LM230WF3-SLB1)
NEC EA231WMi-BK 14ms 23"WS LG.Display e-IPS (LM230WF2-SLA1)

The EA232WMi uses a slightly different panel model, which, according to their parts database, is 6-bit + A-FRC. Also, W-LED isn't that good a choice for backlight if you're looking for accurate color, since it has a blue tinge and leads to a smaller color gamut than CCFL.

I don't find the LG E2370V listed at TFT Central (might not be available for them in the UK), but I notice that according to NewEgg, it only comes with a 1-year manufacturer warranty, while the NEC EA232WMi has a 4-year manufacturer warranty.

I'm not sure about HDMI/DisplayPort, but DVI to HDMI or vice-versa does not involve signal conversion, so you don't need to avoid it.

captvash

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011

It really is a tough call. Do you think the back-lit nature of the LED is a killer? Because I'm just color correcting video to mostly neutral tones, not recreating 28 Days Later haha. I'm attracted to LED because it's low power and very low profile. I intend to take it off it's mount and bracket it to my work desk.

I prob won't buy the EA232WMI solely because of it's bit depth, unless +A-FRC is something big...What exactly is that term? But I'd really like to find out more information on this LG IPS. Their IPS microsite seems to have even fewer information on it.

captvash

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Ok so I am going to go with CCFL. It seems just simply better. Which I find ironic since it's an older technology than LED.
I decided to go with the Dell UltraSharp U2311H. It has 16bit color support and seems to be a solid IPS monitor. Does anyone know if it's superior to the NEC EA231WMi CCFL?
http://gdgt.com/dell/ultrasharp/u2311h/specs/

Basically any e-IPS monitor will be 6-bit color + temporal dithering (A-FRC).

The NEC EA231WMi supposedly uses an 8-bit e-IPS panel (LM230WF2-SLA1), but it has not been confirmed. Originally it was assumed that the NEC EA231WMi and the Dell U2311h both used the same e-IPS panel model. However after reading several posts about those two monitors, the Dell has color banding issues which the NEC does not.

The downside to the NEC EA231WMi is the lack of Response Time Compensation; therefore the response time of the monitor is 14ms.

TFT is kind of a useless specification, because TN, MVA, PVA, and IPS all qualify as TFT (Thin Film Transistor), and even the upcoming AMOLED screens include TFT layers. I'm not sure anybody still makes LCD monitors that don't qualify as TFTs.

BADGJ31

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Have you considered the new LG IPS226V IPS monitor? This monitor seems promising and is the one I'm considering over a Dell U2211H, and it costs a little less. On review it doesn't have any noticeable color difference than the U2211H even though it's LED vs CCFL. Problem is it's only 21.5" whereas the new ASUS ML239H is 23" - with a couple downsides on that one being that its buttons and firmware are a little funky.

All three of these monitors use the same e-IPS screen and are roughly in the same price range on sale. All have response times <10ms.