Advice required - £700 build

frolicols

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Hi there, I'm looking for some advice on a setup for my new build. I've got a strict budget of £700 and am probably going to buy parts from ebuyer.com or similar.

Ideally it needs to be a bit of an all rounder - I need decent storage space for a large music and video collection, graphics for reasonably decent gaming and design work (and possibly for recording from Sky+), DVD+-RAM burner, bluetooth, wireless and the usual array of inputs (USBs, at least one firewire port).

I would prefer an Intel setup, but if you think a particular AMD will do the job then feel free to post.

Hope you can help!!!!!! :hello:

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
there are a bunch of build threads with that exact price have you read through them?

also, what is your resolution of your monitor and what kind of games do you play?

Here are some recommendations but you'll have to add up the cost and see if I am close. don't have time to research them all:

mobo: p45 (asus p5q)
gpu: hd4850
ram: mushkin 2x2gb ddr 800 1.8v
hdd: wd 640gb (wd6400aaks)
cpu: q6600 quad core (can afford for about same price a higher clock dual core like e8400 or e8500 but i think quad would help with design work)
case: antec p182 is too expensive for your picerange unless you really want to suffer elsewhere. here are some choices:
antec 900 great and very cool (temp) case but still probably too expensive
antec 300 can't beat the price and with 1x120mm and 1x140mm fan still very cool
antec sonata II comes with antec 500w power supply which is one of the few included case fans that is actually very high rated.

psu - if not the sonata combo make sure to get high rated brand. very important. pc power and cooling, corsair, antec etc. 500w or higher.

dvd rom- get sata and not a sony.