New UK Game Build £1000 Suggestions?

kriscookuk

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hi guys about to build a new system, my first, well that ive built from scratch.

Heres what im thinking:

Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66 £200
MSI X48C Platinum Intel X48 £150
OCZ 4GB DDR3 £150
GeForce GTX 260 OC 768 £200
Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB £90
OCZ GameXStream 700w £90
Antec Twelve Hundred £100

Torn between the 260 and the 4870.

The case is meh, anyone know anything classy and cool the antec's a bit flash but good features.

Its for gaming and 3D moddeling, zbrush, maya, photoshop etc.

Would like to OC but never tried watercooling, may buy a decent cpu cooler or could go for a cheaper build but with watercooling.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

akhilles

Splendid
Everything except the gpu. If you don't game at all, look into a professional workstation card like Quadro FX or FireGL, whichever is supported by all the software you run. These expensive cards are designed for 3d rendering. ebay has some of them for cheap.

Also look into Xigmatek HDT-S1283.

kriscookuk

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
so a 4870 is the smart choice right now? i've thought aboout a proper workstation card but i can't justify the price for the ammount of gain it would give me.

That Xigmatek HDT-S1283 looks quality, will be adding that to the build.

also what level/Ghz could i expect to achive from overclocking the Q9450 on the xigmatek?

kriscookuk

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
As i understand, it wouldnt be possible to have both a quadro and a 4870 and simply switch between, is this correct?

Choosing the quadro would severly limit its gaming power i presume? but obviously bring hardware rendering on the maya side.

Bassicly my question is, which is going to limit me more?

Thanks for your info on the OC, i was looking for a ball park figure, i understand no two proccesors are the same due to yeilds and whatnot.

akhilles

Splendid
Sorry, I totally missed gaming in your post. Go with HD4870. Yes, it will be slower than Quadro in 3d rendering, but I don't think you're staring at the computer while it's rendering which may take hours or even days. When you game, you want optimal performance.

kriscookuk

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Ive just been shopping around and found a Leadtek GeForce 9800 GX2 for £200 would this be more powerful than the 4870 with it being a dual card?

and one last question, is it worth going for the DDR3? or would it be better to spend the difference on a better gpu.