Need help with a new monitor

dalumberjack

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Ok, so I have Googled the hell out of looking for the best gaming monitor. Seems most of the monitors I find are no longer in production or are not for sale anymore. What happened to 1920 x 1200 16:10 monitors?!? Seems the computer world is trying to turn into the TV one and making us use TV monitors with this 1080p stuff.

I really want a 1920 x 1200 monitor decent for gaming. 16:10 is a plus. I think I found what I want but I am looking for a second opinion and any other suggestion.

The two I am stuck between is the Dell SP2309W http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-sp2309w/4505-3174_7-33456038.html

And this Dell http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-u2410/4505-3174_7-33772972.html

I know the U2410 is the newer one but it has some issues with tint etc... While the SP2309w is not made anymore and is a little harder to find, it has a high resolution which is a plus. Both seem to have no lag for gaming. I'm just not sure which one is the best choice.

Any other options or opinions is appreciated. I don't want to spend more than $600. If i did, I would buy the Dell U2711... that thing makes me drool.

ADDED: I am not too sure of 3d gaming hence why you don't see any 3d monitors that I was looking at. haven't tried it and really don't feel the need too unless I am really REALLY missing out on something.

dalumberjack

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Current monitor is the Gateway FHD2400. Don't know if anyone knows this monitor. I thought it was ok until I just read all the reviews and how bad the color is and stuff. Main reason for upgrade is building new machine and wifey gets old one and the old monitor.

And now I am wondering if the resolution of the sp2309w is too awkward for gaming. Is it a normally supported resolution?

as the market trends changed, so did the most widely available screen resolutions. this is always bound to cause a few fit issues. my older viewsonic is 4:3 ratio!

gaming is fine on a 1920x1080. i use one every single day without a hitch. you don't miss the extra pixels much and you gain a very wide selection of monitors. most modern games support a very wide array of resolutions - as long as yours is not unique there should be an option (or at least something close).

3d is a gimmick. the effect is not true 3d and it will cause quite alot of eye strain. a 60hz signal is fine (no need for 120hz for 3d). as for response times anything 16ms or better is fine. you dont need a 2-3ms rt screen to not have ghosting (my old vs is 16ms, no ghosting!) however as i said dont go above 16ms at the minimum!.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
About 3D gaming, you are not missing out. As said its not true 3D (that can only be achieved by having 3D objects physically inside the screen which is impossible) its a method of fooling your eyes. The effect isn't perfect and has several flaws for those reasons you can't really aim with 3D on. I mean you can... sorta.. the image looks really really unnatural. Imagine walking around every day like a 3D movie.

The Dell U2410 and U2711 are mid ranged monitors for graphics design. They are actually quite cheap for that particular market of monitors. You don't get 3D but you get a IPS LCD panel with full 8-bit colors and wide color gamut and more pixels, but more expensive.

The U2410 doesn't have any tinting issues really. The first batch back in '09 has improper calibration off the assembly line so people who don't calibrate their own monitors experienced a pink or green tint. There has been 5 revisions of the U2410 since then fixing minor problems along the way.

dalumberjack

Distinguished
May 27, 2007

Is the dell sp2309's resolution of 2,048x1,152 an off hand resolution? I like the higher rez but it obviously may not be worth it if its a worse panel than the u2410. So the U2410 is the way to go huh?