thegodlikeone

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Hi,

I will building a new PC in around a month and I have come up with a basic build. I was wondering if any of you can evaluate it and say if there are any changes that need to be made. My budget can stretch to £850 but know higher and if I can I would like to keep it at around the £800 mark.

buildao2.png

This is what I have come up with so far. From looking at reviews all of the components I have selected have received really good reviews. I am going quad core as I multitask a lot and want to future proof myself as I don't plan on changing much apart from the GPU for two years.

I am really set on the case as I love my friends antec 900 and the 1200 seems to be a huge improvement of this (mainly the fan controls being on the exterior of the case)

The Heatsink has had amazing reviews and is very cheap, I want to be able to O'C the CPU to at least 3ghz so I assume this cooler will be fine.

I want to go for 4GB of RAM as it is dirt cheap at the moment, though I don't know much about timings. On Scan ( The site I am ordering off) there are other 4GB sets with 5-5-5-15 timings instead of 4-4-4-12 are these better?

The PSU is to future proof myself and to make sure it works with the GTX 260 as a 630w power supply is recommended.

THe only two components I am having troube with are the motherboard and video card. For the motherboard I have chosen the EP35-DS3R, is this a decent motherboard or is there a better choice which is available? Once again I will be overclocking but not to extreme speeds.
For the video card I have seen great reviews with the GTX 260 and it seems to perform really well, but would a 9800 GTX at £170 ( Instead of £270 for the 260) be a more sensible choice? I will be gaming at 1920x1200.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

thegodlikeone

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
I have decided to swap the hard drive for one of the 500GB 32MB cache ones as advised on another forum. What do you think aobut the rest of the build?

thegodlikeone

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007

For the GPU I can't uip the budget at all, I originally planned to keep it at around £800, but I am already over that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

As for the motherboard can you recommend me any p45 boards with PCI-E 2.0 which are around the same price range and overclock well?

Thanks very much