Best 23/24" Gaming/ Movie LED monitor advice

gamerboy249

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hello, I'm looking to buy a new monitor, after doing a lot of research I came up with these LED monitors -

Samsung PX2370
Samsung XL2370
Samsung BX2431

All of them are Samsung monitors and all have good reviews, I am wondering which one would be better suitable for me ?
BTW, BX2431 is 24inch while all other are 23inch. I would be hooking up this monitor with the GTX 560.

Thanks.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Speaking from experience, I've had the Samsung BX2450 for a few weeks now. Overall I would say I'm pretty happy with it 4.5/5 if I had to rate it. Though here are some things that should be of some concern. I used to use an old hot Westinghouse L2410NM which did have a VA panel. Being an LCD I believe it has the CCFL backlighting, which on a side by side comparison with my Samsung, kind of puts the LED white spectrum to shame. This appears to be a problem inherent in LED monitors as I actually bought an Acer 23" a month ago, but the blue hue whites put off on that monitor were hideous. The Samsung however, though not perfect, does a much better job of fending of the typical blue hue of LED backlighting.

Essientially, if you've been dealing with TN panels this Samsung will appear very bright with some nice rich colors, though you'll have to adjust some settings. By default my 2450 was fairly bland with some grainyness to it. After a couple weeks though I found my ideal settings. I used the "magic angle" setting I believe and set it to "wide" or "group", I forget the name. It automatically adjusted the colors/contrast etc to get the richest colors without a whacky contrast/brightness adjustment. Basically it can get pretty close to what my old VA panel Westy looked like, which is pretty impressive for a TN panel.

Another really weird issue was in the "response time" setting. I think it was backwards so to speak. As I increased the speed e.g. normal/fast/fastest I actually noticed ghosting, and really bad ghosting at fastest. Leaving it on normal though, zero ghosting that I can tell. Weird.

Overall If you haven't been spoiled by higher end panel type monitors, these Samsungs are a home run (go for the 24").

LED backlight is a bit bluish in color. Some people notice it, some don't.

LED light is 68% color gamut as opposed to normal color gamut of 72%. This difference causes a slight bluish tint.

Wide color gamut monitors are a bit greenish (generally they are around 96% gamut), the reason is to help produce more accurate color printouts. There is no benefit from 68% color gamut.

That is actually Response Time Compensation (RTC) overshoot. It happens when RTC is set too aggressively. An example are the "1ms response time" monitors, they achieve this by aggressive RTC, however that results in lower video quality as noted by many reviews.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Thanks for the input, I noticed this in another thread you mentioned it. I was curious since you know a good amount about monitors, there was a reason I replaced the Westy for my new Samsung. About a year or so into using the Westy my HDMI connection would randomly blank out, sometimes for a second, sometimes 2-3, and it would keep randomly doing this. I'm fairly certain it's happened when it was "cold" <3 minutes into using it and afterwards as well. I'm using the same cable on the Samsung and have no problems there, so it's gotta be the monitor itself. Do you think it could be possible permanent heat damage? When it first started was the first time I realized how damn hot this thing really got. I mean, I had an xbox hooked up via component cables, and they connectors/cable acted like a heatsink, and the metallic connectors themselves were easily describable as "hot". For awhile I ghetto rigged a 80mm fan to a molex connector and ran it into my case. This helped keep the unit very cool but the problem still persists. Should I rip this thing open and take a look? Hate to throw away a monitor with a good panel.

gamerboy249

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010

The BX2450 has 5million:1 DCR right ? Because I went to the Samsung website and it said the BX2450 had 1million:1 DCR.
And also what about the BX2431 ? Is it better than the BX2450 ?