Need help with monitor and windows display settings

iamloco724

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
i just got the asus vh236h..this is my first wide screen monitor im coming from a standard dell flat lcd non widescreen

color settings arent the issue for me cause i seem to have that ok or i can mess with that

my problem is running at native resolution everything is way to small for me i cant see anything

ive tried messing with windows font sizes and dpi settings some things get better some stay the same others get worse from being to big

not sure what to do and whats the best settings basically i get certain things large enough like the taskbar clock but then the text looks faded and thin

when i try to go to another resolution size wise things seem better but then everything is squashed stretched and blured/faded looking

i desperately need help dont know to much about this stuff

If adjusting the DPI did not improve things and using lower resolution is unacceptable, then the only real suggestion I can make to to return the monitor and buy a larger monitor with the same resolution, or switch back to your old monitor.

Go to a computer store to look at some 27" 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 resolution monitors and check out if they those are better. That is the largest size monitor for those resolutions. Some 27" are 2560 x 1440 resolution which will only makes thing worse. 30" monitors are all 2560 x 1600 and over $1,000.

If a 27" monitor does not improve things, then look at a smaller 22" 1680 x 1050 monitor. These monitors are becoming rare I think and are being replaced by 20" 1600 x 900 resolution monitors.

iamloco724

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
is it possible that its my video card causing the issue its RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory the new monitor is going to be used the pc im going to be building but right now its hooked up to my almost 5 year old dell e510

so is it possible for the video card to be causing this problem or unlikely?

No, it is not the video card. Not unless you are getting black boards, meaning the desktop does not expand to fill the entire screen.

Going from a 19" monitor to a 24" monitor results in smaller text because the pixels are smaller (pixel density). If you have problems seeing things, then it's best to get a larger 1920 x 1080 monitor.

iamloco724

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006

a bigger one not a smaller one?..does operating systems affect this as well the ability to display as good cause im on windows xp right now till i build my new machine

At this moment in time you have the luxury of returning the Asus VH236H since it is relatively new. You will have to check the return policy.

Since you have relatively poor eyesight, it best to get a bigger monitor with the same resolution as the Asus that way text will be easier to read. Increasing the DPI scaling is not always the best solution.

It would be best to go into a computer store and see if you are comfortable reading text on a larger 1920 x 1080 monitor.

I have used win xp and win 7. dpi scaling is much better on win 7.

what jaguarsks says is true. a bigger screen at the same pixel count will result in an overall larger appearance of everything. the downside is that things will not be as crisp as they used to be. though, with your eyesight you might not notice such things.

after reading your original post (you should have kept using that post by the way) i have a few more things to add..

you said you were using "my 19 inch im running 1152x864"
i myself used to use a 20.1 inch at 1600x1200 using native text sizes without a problem.

if you scale the text up using the windows font sizes (note: NOT RESOLUTION) and you still cannot read the text at the large setting then you could try the windows xp high contrast extra large theme. if you still cannot read the text, perhaps it is time to see the eye doctor as this could be time for glasses or contacts. i know for a fact that if you change to such a theme the text is absolutely huge.

AnitaHartmann

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

Hey, I was reading your response on this forum and thought your response might apply to the problem I am having:
I was setting up my monitor when I moved and when scrolling through the menu I hit the button Auto Tune, it immediately reduced the active screen size. I now have a 1" black border on the right and a 1/2 inch black border on the top. I have adjusted the vertical and horizontal positioning as much as possible but it is still there.
Thanks,
Anita