Monitor for 3D work and gaming

teroxgt

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
I'm in the market for a 22-24" monitor in the $200 - $300 range (preferably lower), with a HDMI input, and the primary usage for the monitor will be for 3D modelling/animation and photoshop with the secondary usage being for gaming. I have read the forums around and people are saying IPS panels are good for wide color gamut and viewing angles but is not suited for gaming and they are expensive as well. So are there any cheap IPS panels with HDMI interface that will satisfy my requirements? Alternatively would a TN panel with FRC suffice? I'm just beginning out and I'm not doing anything professionally. I quite inclined towards the Dell U2311. Please advice..

Thanks

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
It is generally frowned upon to use 6-bit monitors for 3D moddeling since you can't see gradients very well with a TN panel. Gradients is something you would see a LOT. If everything appears to be a single solid color or a couple bands of similar colors then thats really no good.

Professionals prefer 10-bit or more for less banding but that requires work station graphics cards.

You can always get a displayport to HDMI cable.