What is this spot on my monitor (I dont' think its a dead pixel)

alphanode

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Any idea of what this spot is how to get rid of it?
243kmzb.jpg

I just got a new 27 inch monitor. Of course the first thing I do is look at an all white/black screen to see if can spot any dead pixels. I don't see any at first glance, but 5 minutes later - i see a dark spot on the screen. Sure enough, it isn't going away so I figure it must be a dead pixel.

I took a close up photo of it and its odd because the dark spot area seems to span several pixels, yet no individual pixel is completely dark/dead. For comparison, I created a 1 pixel black dot in paint (to the right of the mystery spot). It clearly spans each of the RGB cells for the pixel (as it should).

I've already tried running JScreenFix, turning the monitor off and on, and even unplugging it overnight. Unfortunately, it remains. Could this spot be somehow related to a shipping error?

Thanks 16.7 million.

the photo doesnt show up.

a pixel which appears to be a solid color is not always dead. sometimes the pixel is just stuck and can be fixed by massaging it out. there are quite a few guides on this online. if you don't feel like trying a fix, you could always return the monitor and get another one depending on policies. I know i wouldnt want to deal with a problem if i just took the thing home.

It's a dead pixel.

A pixel is made up of 3 sub-pixels (Red, Green, Blue) to create the rainbow of colors. It's a shame your H-IPS panel monitor has a dead pixel.

They are all black on that white background. Therefore, each sub-pixel is dead which means the pixel is black.

It's a defect in the manufacturing process. I am assuming you bought the Dell U2711 and since it's resolution is 2560 x 1440 that means it has 3.68 million pixels, which means there are 11.06 million sub-pixels, amongst other teeny tiny parts. Can't expect something with that many parts to be 100% perfect all the time.

No it isn't.

The black pixel is something that he photoshopped in to give an example of what he expects a dead pixel to look like (at least that's what I understand to be the case - I could be wrong). The thing he was asking about was the smaller dark smudge on the left of the zoomed in region.

It certainly doesn't look like a dead pixel to me. As for what it is? I haven't the faintest idea.

alphanode

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Thanks for the replies:

That's mostly correct. The right pixel is actually a photo of dot in MSPaint (which is placed next to the unknown spot for comparison). You were absolutely correct in understanding it is the left spot I am curious about.

I was considering that... however what threw me off was the fact that it was not present when I first examined the screen. I suppose it is possible I just missed it.

I hate to return a monitor for a tiny imperfection that I don't notice 95% of the time. Then again, I know it will drive me crazy every time I think about it. Unless anybody has any other ideas of what it might be, or better yet how to repair it, I'll prob end up returning it Monday. Note i've already tried a pixel massage and I'm assuming blowing compressed air into the ventilation of the screen would not dislodge the dust. Would blowing compressed air into the screen hurt any?

No I wouldn't recommend it due to possible damage of some internal components due to high air pressure.

Additionally, I think the speck is sandwiched in between various layers of the LCD panel itself so no amount will dislodge the speck since the layers are all sealed together.

I'm not sure a return policy would cover a single speck of dust. If there was an excessive amount of trapped dust, then that's a different matter. I hate to say it, but I think you just have to live with it.

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013

I'm sorry for asking..but i kindda have the same issue..a black tiny spot and i don't know if its a dead pixel or just a dust in between the various layers..but if it was a dust can it get reduced until it disappear by time? because i think mine is getting smaller a bit..

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Did you try just lightly tapping/massaging the screen, if it's a pixel it may revive it, or if it's dust/forein object it may move. I once got a monitor that had three dead pixels that wouldn't come out and had no trouble exchanging it. But yes it's a pain in the a$$.

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013

i didn't try tapping, but i've tried lightly massaging and also used Udpixel..i dunno it didn't get completely removed..but i feel that its getting reduced a bit by bit..can a dead pixel get smaller by time? or a dust only that gets smaller?

pramonoteguh

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017

I just got a same probeem. Thanks for the explaination. I also think this was just a speck of dust. Now i can live with it, in peace.

If the black pixel (3 subpixels) in the bottom right corner is your "test black" pixel and the one you're worried about is the series of partially dimmed pixels in the top left corner, I think it's a bit of dirt stuck between the screen matrix and one of the protection layers.
I don't think you can fix it (taking apart a screen's layers isn't part of its maintenance, and the assembly is normally done under "clean room" environment) and this kind of stuff isn't usually covered by warranty (as the pixel isn't dead). You may want to ask your reseller or the screen's manufacturer for an exchange, though.