I need help picking out 3 monitors for gaming/photoshop

deathbydoubleG

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
my total monitor budget is $900 so about $300 a monitor ( yes i know the monitor budget is tight)
i want it to meet all or most of my specifications bellow:

-1080p or higher
-nice contrast ratio
-a reasonable viewing angle
-nice color
- DVI and HDMI
-small bezel

i was thinking about 3x samsung syncmaster xl2370 for $900

it seems like i have to go for a tn monitor :cry:

i will be using 2 or 3 radeon hd 6970s in CF and will be using them for gaming, photoshoping, and programing.

Solution
Not really, yes you will probably see a little more ghosting than a 1ms / 2ms / 5ms monitor, but those are "advertised" numbers anyway.

Response times are measured in "gray to gray" color changes, basically manufactures select the best or lowest time from their battery of tests. Color tone changes can take as along as 255ms even on a "2ms" monitor.

At this point you need to make a decision, what's more important to you:

1. A little less ghosting for gaming
2. Better viewing angles and colors for Photoshop

I game on a 5ms H-IPS monitor. The difference between 8ms and 5ms isn't that much technically speaking, but I never played games on an 8ms monitor. I do have a 2ms monitor (Asus VK246H) which I did play games on (specifically to...

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I wonder if you can get your hands on some Dell U2311 or U2211. e-IPS is a lot better for photoshop than TN.

I would try calling Dell business to see if you can work out some deals. They would typically give some discounts and you are ordering 3.

Not really, yes you will probably see a little more ghosting than a 1ms / 2ms / 5ms monitor, but those are "advertised" numbers anyway.

Response times are measured in "gray to gray" color changes, basically manufactures select the best or lowest time from their battery of tests. Color tone changes can take as along as 255ms even on a "2ms" monitor.

At this point you need to make a decision, what's more important to you:

1. A little less ghosting for gaming
2. Better viewing angles and colors for Photoshop

I game on a 5ms H-IPS monitor. The difference between 8ms and 5ms isn't that much technically speaking, but I never played games on an 8ms monitor. I do have a 2ms monitor (Asus VK246H) which I did play games on (specifically to just write a review) and the is not much difference between 5ms and 2ms.

I would have to say the Asus monitor may have slightly (and I mean slightly) less ghosting than my NEC monitor. But that's maybe 20 hours worth of gaming on the Asus vs. easily over 1,000 hours on my NEC.

Solution

deathbydoubleG

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
i will be gaming with all 3 ( with eyefinity ) but i use Photoshop a lot too. i will also be doing c++ proggraming but the panel type doesn't really matter with that so i think i will go for the Dell U2311... can you recommend a place to buy the monitor from... i was thinking dell but another reviewer said they were usd $200 and saving $300 would be nice.

Adroid

Distinguished
I returned the PX2370 Samsung, and bought a U2311H, I absolutely love it. The picture quality is worlds better on the e-IPS screen.

My primary use is gaming, and I play alot of shooting games and Strategy. I rarely notice any ghosting at all.

The U2211WA is supposedly slightly faster, but the U2311H is plenty good.

+1 to the recommendation of the U2311H - you won't be dissappointed.

I think its fair to say that most people will never buy another TN screen after they get to use a e-IPS screen like these.

remaxguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
A TN screen is better for gaming, and an IPS screen is better for Photoshop. The OP should decide on which is more important, or get a TN and an IPS screen and run dual monitors. Dual monitors are great for Photoshop too. I plan on getting a Dell U2311 for photo editing, and also running a cheaper TN monitor to park my Photoshop tools on, so the Photoshop floating tool pallets don't clutter up the image I'm editing...they'll all be on the TN monitor.

Adroid

Distinguished

You say that TN is better for gaming? Have you ever tried the U2311H for gaming? I would argue that its much better than TN. Historically TN is better because of speed, but some of the new IPS panels are plenty fast, and I consider a better picture "better" for gaming.

I have played a plethora of games on my u2311H, and it rocks. I play all types including FPS, and I have no problem with lag or ghosting.