zd55

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I'm looking at getting a new monitor for gaming and I'm not sure if its better to go with a plasma monitor or a LCD. A lot of people seem to use LCDs for computer gaming so I was just curious if there was a significant advantage. I have found a 42 inch plasma monitor for 500 (http://www.edexdeals.com/StoreFront/do/product/SAM%3AP42HP?%26category%3DMONITOR-PLASMA) and I know the saying is bigger is better :). But before I make the dive I wanted opinions about the differences between the the two types of monitors.

Solution
Bigger is not bigger, that TV is only 720P. Basically it has the same resolution as a 17" monitor which gives you little to no desktop space. Go for something at least 1080P

I personally bought a Panasonic 42" plasma TV 1080P yesterday. Cost me $549 + tax.

People tend to sit 2 feet away from their computer screens and plasma doesn't has much larger pixels so you won't find any 1080P plasma screen under 42". Unless you intend to sit 10 feet away from you TV/Mointor, I would suggest you getting something smaller.

If you do intend to sit far away, then both Plasma and LCD has their own advantages.

Plasma can have up to 2 million to 1 contrast ratio.
While the best LCD can only do 3000:1, and 99% of LCDs can't even do 1000:1.
Dynamic...

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Bigger is not bigger, that TV is only 720P. Basically it has the same resolution as a 17" monitor which gives you little to no desktop space. Go for something at least 1080P

I personally bought a Panasonic 42" plasma TV 1080P yesterday. Cost me $549 + tax.

People tend to sit 2 feet away from their computer screens and plasma doesn't has much larger pixels so you won't find any 1080P plasma screen under 42". Unless you intend to sit 10 feet away from you TV/Mointor, I would suggest you getting something smaller.

If you do intend to sit far away, then both Plasma and LCD has their own advantages.

Plasma can have up to 2 million to 1 contrast ratio.
While the best LCD can only do 3000:1, and 99% of LCDs can't even do 1000:1.
Dynamic contrast is worth nothing.

Plasma has better color, only second to the most expensive IPS LCD monitors.

Plasma has such a fast refrash rate, response time doesn't even matter. Better for motion pictures.

LCDs have better color and brightness uniformity. Best to use LCDs for photoshop.

LCDs on the other hand isn't prone to screen burn. Best to use LCDs if you are viewing text documents among other images that doesn't change frequeently. However plasma screens can only get permanent screen burn if a static image is left on for 10+ hours.

The gasses in plasma TVs degrade over time. The half life of the gasses (time before it becomes half as bright) is about 100,000 hours which is a very long time. The gasses cannot be replensihed.

CCFL backlighting in LCD TV becomes more yellow over time. Eventually they need to be replaced but the TV would probably get so obsolete you might not even want it anymore.

Solution

zd55

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I think the 720p was a misprint on their site because in the description it says 1080p and on other sites it says the same.
But the sitting distance will definitely be more than two feet lol. and the purpose would be mostly gaming.

my suggestion:

sony lcd, led backlit, 120hz

size will vary based upon how far you will sit away from it.
if it will be 3-5 feet away 30" to 40" is sufficient.

Reasons:

sony is the only manufacturer to 100% back their tvs with parts. my cousin is a repair tech so he can vouch for that. not the best warranty in the business, but if you want to fix your tv post warranty it is a huge plus.

led instead of ccfl backlighting is more uniform, can achieve higher contrast ratios, and *should* last longer while generating less heat.

120hz isnt really needed but it does smooth out moving images... though even most 60hz have zero ghosting!
---

reasons why to avoid plasma:

they are prone to failing within only a few years. believe actual results and not mtbf labels. they are also very expensive to get worked on. again, my cousin is a tv repair tech.

plasma doesn't have better color than any decent non trash lcd. keep in mind that if it is your pc monitor you will have vibrancy turned way down anyways or you'll go blind (well, it will hurt your eyes anyways)

plasma does have a better contrast ratio than older lcd tvs, however the new led lcd tvs are excellent. my old lcd monitor never got real dark.. the only time you notice it is when you deal with pure black on the screen.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Plasma is cheaper. You can find a 42" Plasma with great colors at $550. You just can't find a 42" Sony LED backlit TV at that price.

Actually LEDs lower brightness uniformity than CCFL backlighting. The reason being each LED outputs a different amount of light. There is no calibration on TVs unlike professional monitors.

Though CCFL are prone to white point shifts which requires periodic calibration while white LEDs can't achieve a perfect white point altogether.

LEDs don't improve contrast. Static contrast is a measure of how much light the LCD crystal matrix can block out. A difference in light source doesn't change anything. LEDs do improve dynamic contrast which is a measure of how dim the backlight can be turned down. How much the backlight can dim doesn't improve picture quality what so ever. Dynamic contrast is worth nothing. Plasmas have 2,000,000:1 Static contrast. LCDs have something around 3000:1 Static contrast, LED or not.

@rofl,

I am well aware of what the numbers listed in the specifications are. however, if you go stand in front of the wall at a best buy or local television store you can *not* tell me honestly that it makes a huge difference.

I'm using a ccfl myself and although not as crisp b&w as the newer televisions it isn't bad at all. even if there is a very slight light output (meaning very very dark grey color) this doesnt affect image quality at all. looks black enough for me.

As for pricing... if you want $550 you can get a ccfl for around that. cheaper yes, but if it dies on you in only a few years, you are so s.o.l.

What i think the op should do is go to a store and visually compare a few different televisions to see what looks best to him. keep in mind that the settings ini stores are often cranked up to be very bright and very vibrant. as i stated earlier you will be turning down these settings unless you want to hurt your eyes.

one thing i think we all do agree on: dont get a 720p or 1080i. get 1080p tv.