LCD monitor (2+yrs old) problem! HELP WANTED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldofwarcraftwow

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Specs: SDM-HS75P/Black Finish 17" Monitor (2yrs old)
GeForce 6800 GS Unlocked w/ Zalman Cooler (7 months)
97.44 XG-Forceware High Performance

Usage: Moderate-Heavy.... mostly moderate(more on gaming less on others)

Problem: My LCD monitor's screen randomly turns off = becomes dark even when my monitor power is on! Most of the times I have to reboot monitor just to get the screen back on. I have a non-name brand LCD monitor for my other computer and that has never had a problem like this or any other sort for almost five years now. FYI, monitor screen turning dark or blank doesnt affect PC. It's just the random screen blackouts that is worrisome!

What I did so far!: Well, I tried to isolate the problem! The following is what I did:
1. Connect the problem monitor to 4 other different PCs.... same thing! Almost always within less half-an-hour screen goes dark/blank while monitor power is solidly lit green.

2. OK, maybe its the cables, so I tried changing it too. Result is the same.

3. OK, maybe its the VGA port on my monitor and Vcard thats the problem. So, I bought a new DVI monitor cable and connected both ends to their respected ports. Result is still the same.

4. OK, maybe its the power cord line that's causing this problem so it got changed too. Still the same.

5. OK, maybe it's the Video Card itself, so I uninstalled it and connected the monitor to the very VGA connector on the PC(housing the integrated graphics on the MoBo). The result is still the same.

6. I tried to connect a CRT and another LCD monitor to my PC and Video Card. There was no problem at all.

Conclusion: IMO, I guess its the monitor itself. But, what I do not know is what part of the monitor is causing this problem? What is usually affected in the LCD monitor that is showing these symptoms? Could any of you, help me be enlightened on this one?

What should I do? Give me a clue!. I'm soliciting your help! Tom's Hardware is the first and the very last place I'd go to for all my tech needs! Thanks in advance, you all.

Question: I am lost for answers as to why is my monitor acting up like this! Any of you guys ever had a problem like this? I dont want to part with my monitor just yet cause basically speaking it is still brand new. Is my monitor the problem or my video card that is causing this? Any form of help will be greatly appreciated. More power to Tom's Hware and thank you for your contributions to the community!

If you tried the monitor on 4 other PCs and you still get the same problem, you basically just answered your own question. There is no doubt in my mind that it is the monitor. To me it sounds like your monitor's power cable is faulty or the supply itself. You could try to have the monitor repaired, but that may just cost as much as buying a brand new cheapo one like the one going bad (though from your problems, el-cheapo may not be a good choice).

Edit: FYI, I don't mean the computer's PSU. All monitors come with a type of power regulator. This sounds like what went bad in your's. One went bad in my Dell LCD and they just ended up giving me a new TV. LCD would overheat and randomly shut off and couldn't be turned back on unless it was physically unplugged.

Oh I aslo forgot to ask, is the monitor plugged into a surge protector? This may have caused your issues. Not enough power going to the LCD.

worldofwarcraftwow

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
If you tried the monitor on 4 other PCs and you still get the same problem, you basically just answered your own question. There is no doubt in my mind that it is the monitor. To me it sounds like your monitor's power cable is faulty or the supply itself. You could try to have the monitor repaired, but that may just cost as much as buying a brand new cheapo one like the one going bad (though from your problems, el-cheapo may not be a good choice).

Edit: FYI, I don't mean the computer's PSU. All monitors come with a type of power regulator. This sounds like what went bad in your's. One went bad in my Dell LCD and they just ended up giving me a new TV. LCD would overheat and randomly shut off and couldn't be turned back on unless it was physically unplugged.

Oh I aslo forgot to ask, is the monitor plugged into a surge protector? This may have caused your issues. Not enough power going to the LCD.
Lost and Kevin, thank you both for your concern on my problem. Anyway, just an update on this.... my monitor doesn't have a power regulator. I just plug it directly for power with the "power cord" that came with it, if your referring to the power regulator(the backlight inverter) embedded inside the monitor then that might be it, ain't it? I just didn't know what to call it till now. My computer PSU is a Thermaltake 500Watt PSU if that matters. I guess it gives enough juice my PC needs. And, you're right, the monitor in question is indeed plugged into a surge protector. But, the other 4 different PCs I tested it with didn't have the surge protector and the same problem still showed. I'm always checking this thread for feedbacks as I'm patient to learn from you guys. So what else do you think? Can you also recommend an outstanding gaming LCD if I were to shop for replacement for this faulty one around the 20'-23' models for less 500USD? Those budget monitors in same screen size range are welcome too. Thanks again!

Yes I was referring to the inverter. With my LCD, it was still shutting off even when it wasn't in the surge protector. So to me it sounds like once its fried, that's it. Surge protectors regulate the amount of juice going to the device plugged in. If it's not enough, then it could cause problems. As for recommendations, I'm a fan of Dell monitors.

worldofwarcraftwow

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Yes I was referring to the inverter. With my LCD, it was still shutting off even when it wasn't in the surge protector. So to me it sounds like once its fried, that's it. Surge protectors regulate the amount of juice going to the device plugged in. If it's not enough, then it could cause problems. As for recommendations, I'm a fan of Dell monitors.
I just wanted to say thank you for all the help. And I really appreciate all the infos I learned from you too. Keep it up, the world needs more of you who helps out unconditionally!

unknown23c

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
i have the same monitor and the same problem but what the other numb nuts dont know is the inverter/backlight ballast what ever you wana call it is also on the same board as the power supply and its not ur problem the problem does on the other hand is somewhere on that same board i just havent found it yetbut from what i know so far is i think its the transformer breaking down the one covered in yellow tap eather way its in that area somewhere ill let you know exactly what the problem is if you still have the monitor but you will have to open it up to find out what im talking about. and then again maybe when you open urs up maybe your board might have a hint as to what is wrong. like a leaking cap or something

dx9gamer

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
i seem to also have this same problem, has anyone found a solution yet? just curios, i have already checked for leaking and bloated capacitors but they all look good, an i really don't know what else to check at this point.

unknown23c

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
its the transformer that is bad i pulled it off the board stuck it in the microwave for 5 seconds and put it back on and it fired up and was running for awhile but the transformer went out anyway i replaced it with a new one and no problems so far works great.

unknown23c

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
yes i am refuring to the one covered in tape but you might want to check the voltage on both side to make sure that you have the same problem. put you leids on it and turn it on and then wait tell it goes off on its own and see if the voltage drops. if its completly not working then you might not have voltage comming out of it at all so it would be ur problem but you want to make sure there is voltage going into it and it is the right voltage.

G

Hi sound like you have a dodgy cold cathode tube there in the lcd panel to test this out open the moniter and remove the shelding metal work to expose the circuit boards with the power removed locate the psu/inverter board on the LH side the one with the small transformers on the top and bottom. You will see two small connectors with two wires connected to each one on the top and one on the bottom of the board. These wires connect to the tubes(backlight) one in the top and one in the bottom of the lcd panel.Carefully disconnect one of these connectors then reconnect your dvi or vga lead and mains lead to the monitor then power up the monitor (BE CAREFUL DONT TOUCH THAT BOARD WHEN THE POWER IS CONNECTED THERE'S MAINS VOLTAGE AND APPROX 650 VOLT AT THE TUBE CONNECTORS) check the monitor is displaying a picture (it might be a little darker as one of the tubes are off) then leave it to heat up for 30 mins if it stays on ok after 30 mins unplug the monitor and reconnect that tube connector then disconnect the other tube connector and power up the monitor and do the same as before.If either tube shuts down under test then you will know its a tube fault and which tube is faulty and replace it or get it replaced.Good luck

unknown23c

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
that doesnt make since if the backlight is comming on like normal then shutting off then obviously its not the cathode tube its something else and like i said before its not the backlight another thing that goes bad is the 680uf caps.mine went out after i found that the transformer was bad in mine.now every monitor is different but all lcd monitors have the same fucked up issue the caps go bad and sometimes they dont show signs of it but they short out when put under a load.

Status
Not open for further replies.