Which monitor? Dell vs HP - 22" vs 24"?

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Hello,

I am about to purchase a new monitor to replace my current 22" monitor. I want something better than what my current TN panel offers.

My uses will be primarily graphics work (3D graphics) so I am working a lot with Maya and Photoshop for texturing. Because of this I'd like good colors and a monitor which I know produces a correct image (or at least more correct than my current monitor, which really isn't satisfactory when I compare it with other more expensive monitors).

However, I am much in doubt which monitor to go for. I've been looking at the following models:

- Dell 2209WA
- Dell U2410
- HP ZR24W
- NEC EA241WM

Which of these monitors would you recommend? I know some of them are 24" but I am thinking about using my current 22" as a secondary monitor and in this way get extra desktop space - and considering this I might be alright with another 22" and save some cash.

The Dell U2410 is probably too expensive for me and I find it a bit hard to justify the double cost compared with the 2209WA. It even seems that some people are experiencing problems with the panel. The same goes for the HP where I've been reading about some glowing artifacts.
I am not sure about the NEC, haven't been able to find many reviews on it, but it's price is approximately the same as the HP. The price of the HP is right in between the 2209WA and U2410 - where the U2410 is twice as expensive as the 2209WA.

I am currently leaning towards the 2209WA as it fits my budget nicely and generally it gets really top notch reviews. I hope someone can guide me in what monitor to buy :) Thanks in advance.

I know the Dell 2209WA was pretty popular when it first came out since it uses an e-IPS panel. I don't recall too much, but it is generally a good or very monitor. The only drawback is that it has the lowest resolution of all the monitors listed here; 1680 x 1050.

The HP ZR24W is pretty good once you properly calibrate otherwise the blacks are it bit poor and contrast is somewhat weak. I've read that if not properly calibrated (meaning not using a colorimeter) you can loose a bit of gamma and shadow detail.

The Dell U2410 is actually pretty good from what I've read. Most complaints that I recall about this specific monitor was the relatively high input lag for games.

The NEC EA241WM is a TN panel monitor so scratch this off your list.

===================================

Of all the monitors listed here my preference would be...

1. Dell U2410
2. Dell 2209WA
3. HP ZR24W

===================================

It'll throw in another option... The Dell U2311H. It is another 1920 x 1080 monitor which uses an e-IPS panel and sell for the same price as the Dell 2209WA; $319. The best thing about this monitor is that it comes pre-calibrated; unlike most monitors. Therefore, it is good to go right out of the box. Of course, it can be greatly improved if you use a colorimeter, but a really good one will cost you over $150 and excellent colorimeters is nearly the same price of the U2311H. It is also good for gaming if you play games.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9270&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=1&~ck=dellSearch

If I had the choice between the Dell U2410 and the Dell U2311H, my choice would be the U2410 because I prefer 1920 x 1200 resolution.

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Thanks for your reply.

I don't really like the 16:9 aspect ratio - a friend of me got one and I think it gets too strecthed/flat.. even though the resolution is high. So I have to rule the U2311H off, but thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have any calibration equipment and I'd prefer not to buy that.. at least not right away - so perhaps I should go with the 2209WA..

amoebachiba

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Thanks for that comment jaguarskx - it was a good sanity check for me (I'm looking to get a u2410).

Course, the irony is, I can't actually click any product link on the Dell site to look at specific product pages: it errors out instead :p DONT THEY WANT MY MONIES??? heh

<edit> Ouch! "Preliminary Ship date: 12/8/2010"

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
The U2410 is a great monitor. The first revision of the monitor had a problem with game mode not reducing input lag but that has been fixed long ago.

The HP ZR24W is S-IPS and doesn't come pre-calibrated while the Dell U2410 is H-IPS (better) and does come pre-calibrated. I have to say the Dell is better.

The U2311H is 16:9 aspect ratio but the screen is bigger and higher resolution than the 2209WA in both x and y axis so I don't understand why you would settle for lower resolution screen. Its the same price too.

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Even though the 16:9 monitor got the same resolution it really is physically smaller vertically than a 22" 16:10 monitor, and it feels really flat when using it (thats my opinion at least). I feel that my current 22" is bigger than a 23" 16:9 monitor.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
A 23" monitor would have slight higher vertical height than a 22" monitor, about 30 pixels higher, which is nothing. It only gives a wider image.

It is just desktop area. Getting more is always better. If you play games in 16:9 resolution, you get a extended field of vision compared to a less wide resolution.

Adroid

Distinguished

Actually the 23" dell is about 1/4" shorter than the 22" in the height dimension due to the 16:9 resolution.

I love the U2311H, and I think the U2210WA would be a great choice as well. The U2210WA also has a faster response time, which might be another reason for gamers to go that route. I personally think that 8ms 16:9 U2311H 1080p model is plenty fast for games (even FPS games), and I have been in love with it since the day it arrived at the door.

I won't be buying another TN panel, ever.