Sign in with
Your question

Starts then dies in ½ a second

Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2008 2:30:44 PM

Hello. I just bought and built a new computer. It was working fine the first day and this morning, but when i came home frmo school and tried to start it, it just died instantly. All the fans started spinning for about half a second and then jsut stopped. after a few seconds, it started itself again and the procedure continued.

The setup is as following:

Intel Q6600
Gigabyte P35-ds3
Gigabyte 8800gts 512 mb
Antec Lifestyle Sonata III with Earthwatts 500w PSU
2x Mushkin 2gb Memory.
Samsung spinpoint 500gb

The first day, which it functioned correctly after some tuning, i could play games without problems and the system didnt get very warm so i dont think any of the components died because of overheating.

I checked if the power and reset switches were malfunctioning by taking one out at a time, changing +/- replacing reset with power swithc etc - Still the same

I also checked if there was anything loose in the case or if anything was short-curcuiting the mobo but couldn't find anything.

The last time it was working correctly (this morning) I didn't experience anything strange.

I hope i've given you guys enough information and that you have something in your sleeves to help me!

Thanks

//Anton

More about : starts dies

January 22, 2008 2:33:27 PM

P.S I also reseted CMOS by short-curcuiting the jumper
January 22, 2008 2:39:32 PM

Check all the connectors from hardware to to the MB (optical drives, hard drives, PCI cards, fans, etc.) including Video card and RAM. You might reseat the RAM and video card. It sounds like a short from your description. You could unplug everything (optical drives, hard drives, etc) except the video card, 1 DIMM RAM and the CPU HSF and see if the system will boot into BIOS. In addition you could have a bad power on case switch or a bad PSU. If you used the stock Intel 775 HSF, be sure it is seated properly and has not came loose. HTH.
Related resources
January 22, 2008 2:50:20 PM

I checked all the basic connectors thoroughly... I havent tried stripping the system down though - ill give it a try.

The stock cooler isn't loose and i was very careful when applying the thermal paste so that shouldn't be a problem.

The power on case switch shouldnt be problem as i connected the reset switch to the power on socket without any difference.

Yes the PSU kan be broken. I dont have a spare PSU to check it though...
January 22, 2008 2:53:59 PM

If you break the system down to the CPU/HSF, 1 DIMM RAM and the video card and can not boot successfully to BIOS, it has to be the MB or PSU very likely. MB bad, shorted out or bad PSU.
January 22, 2008 3:01:47 PM

I've had similar problems many times and it turned out to be a shorted out MB, shorted out front panel fan controller, etc. or a bad power on switch from the case. A totaled out PSU won't spin the fans. Sounds like it is shorting out. Especially since you say the system was running fine the day before.
January 22, 2008 3:09:46 PM

Hm.. i did unplugg everything except one ram-module, the GPU, the Processor+HSF and the fans... - still nothing

Maybe i should try to unplug the Case fans then?

Ill be back in a few minutes
January 22, 2008 3:15:40 PM

Fans unplugged - still nothing

Some more information about what actually happens. (Sorry I didn't think of saying this earlier)

When i plug the cord to the psu, the thing "starts" without me even pushing the power on button Then it goes on until i unplugg the cord and after the cord is unplugged - it starts and stops once more and then dead.

Thanks for all the help so far! Hope i can fix this without having to RMA something >.<
January 22, 2008 3:18:53 PM

What I would do. Try a different PSU. Remove the MB try booting it outside the case with CPU/HSF, 1 DIMM RAM and video card.
January 22, 2008 3:22:39 PM

Bnot is this you power supplly:Antec earthwatts EA500 ATX12V v2.0 500W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC

Output

document.write(neg_specification_newline('+3.3V@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@17A,+12V2@17A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@2.5A'));
+3.3V@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@17A,+12V2@17A,-12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A

How is your ps hooked up to video card?

are you useing power cable that came with your video card y cable
January 22, 2008 3:22:41 PM

I dont have a "different PSU". I might be able to borrow one of one of my mates... but im not sure about that... Well I'll keep looking for possible solutions meanwhile checking with my friends
January 22, 2008 3:26:05 PM

That seems to be the one Major53. It's hooked up through a pci-express cord i think... It's a 6-pin socket atleast
January 22, 2008 3:28:42 PM

Oh dont mind that i didnt know what i was talking about... The pci-express is the socket on the motherboard ofcourse...

But i dont know what to say about the cord connecting the GPU to the PSU except that it's 6-pin
January 22, 2008 3:35:56 PM

Gigabyte is well known for rebooting itself like that, at least in my own experience. It sounds like an overclocking issue to me. If you're overclocking, you might want to tone it down a bit. Reset the BIOS by unplugging the PC and removing the battery for at least 30s. Don't always rely on "short circuiting" the jumpers.
January 22, 2008 3:38:11 PM

It's not overclocked at all tbh... But sure I'll try resesting the BIOS by replacing the battery.

Just gotta get something to eat first. Skipped that today >.<
January 22, 2008 4:04:43 PM

Ok update: after removing the battery for about a minute and then putting it back it's not working at all. It's as though the power cord is not in.

Just getting worse and worse eh...

This probably means that the PSU is screwed right?
January 22, 2008 4:18:00 PM

Bnot does your ps have switch on and off ?

leave p1 connector plugged up main power connector then see if fans come on ps

January 22, 2008 4:24:40 PM

Ahhh the relief!

It's fixed now. Apparently removing the battery did help. The reason it didn't start att all afterwards was that some mysterious force had unplugged the front power on switch while i was eating!

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated!
January 22, 2008 4:37:55 PM

The front power on switch fix! :)  Like I was saying, I RMA'd a PSU one time...
January 23, 2008 7:36:07 AM

Well the problem wasnt the front power switch, it had just been accidentally been unplugged while I was stripping the computer...

It was actually the clearing of the CMOS that fixed it.

But strangely enough, when I tried to start it this morning - I had the same problem! Dont want to have to reset CMOS all the time :S
January 23, 2008 12:52:45 PM

Well, always unplug the PSU from the wall, remove the battery and then reset the switch. Replace the battery.
January 24, 2008 7:32:20 AM

All this and the poor Guy just wants to play with His Rig.
I, like allot on here have been right where you are and know how you feel.
Hopefully you'll get it all ironed out soon.

It really sounds like either bad O/C or a bad PSU.
If you're re-setting the CMOS and it's still doing it then it really sounds like a PSU issue.

If your M/Board has 2 power Sockets make sure you have them both plugged in. I know this most likely isn't the case but it's usualy the smallest most overlooked thing that causes the biggest Headaches.
Your PSU is a little on the light side for supporting a GPU like the 8800, you might want to go a little higher like a 600W or even 750W PSU.
January 24, 2008 8:55:55 AM

Wait! I know what this is! Really, I had this happen once, so I'm pretty sure the same thing is happening to you; same symptoms anyway.
I'd bet money you had a power surge and your trusty psu ate most of it. Now, though, the capacitors that your psu uses (and possibly some on your mobo,too) to handle power surges are highly charged and cannot discharge. Why? Well, because you keep turning the system on and immediately your psu switches off since the full capacitors make it "think" that it's still handling a surge and needs to switch off.
So what's the solution? I know this is going to suck, since you just got this nice system, but the answer is to unplug it and leave it alone for 2-3 days. You can hit the power switch from time to time with the psu unplugged from the wall; that may help speed up the energy dissipation from your psu. After a couple days, plug it back and it should boot right up.
Good luck!
January 24, 2008 1:11:51 PM

Human1! I'll give it a try... But i dont know if i can handle it for more than 2 days :) 
January 26, 2008 8:22:42 AM

I really need to thank you Human1. For some strange reasons it actually worked! (I wasn't able to wait more than 1.5 days though : p)

January 26, 2008 10:35:56 AM

That is awsome. Gotta remember that one..
January 27, 2008 12:57:44 PM

I had the clear the cmos this morning aswell...

Looks like I didn't wait long enough I guess....
January 28, 2008 6:36:47 PM

Hey, sounds like we have the exact same problem! I just posted a thread about it.

Goes like this ...

Computer starts up fine. Then, you shutdown, and the next time you try to power up, it doesn't start!

To get it to start, reset the CMOS, and it starts up perfectly. However, when you shutdown, and try to start it again, it fails to start! Reset CMOS and it starts fine. Rinse and repeat.

Sound like your problem?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/248456-13-problems-year
!