Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Yesterday I did my first build with this hardware:

Asus P5N32-E SLI
Core2Duo E6850
Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
2x2GB DDR2 800 OCZ Reaper-HPC
8800GT

I've connected everything. The green led on the MoBo lights up. I press the power on button and psu, cpu, gpu fans begin to work, even I can hear the hardisk running, but the computer won´t boot. I don´t get any beeps nor video signal.

I tried to disconnect everything and power on with CPU+Video+RAM only, getting the same results. After that I've reconnected everything outside the case with no success. I double checked cables from the PSU to Motherboard and Videocard. I also checked the MoBo for damage but can´t find any broken/burnt components.

Since I've unplugged everything to reconnect it outside the box, I removed the heatsink from the mobo to check if it was well seated. It seemed so. My question is: could that be the cause of my no-boot problem? is it necessary to put some more heat paste between the cpu and the heatsink if I remove the heatsink from the MoBo? Or the original heat paste already on the CPU/heatsink is enough?

I don´t have any other MoBo, CPU, Videocard or RAM so I can´t test these devices separately.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance

inspecter71

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Ok start over from scratch take your time, and make sure your video card and your memory is pressed all the way in the slots.Another thing is double or triple check those led front panel wires and make sure they match up properly to the pin's they connect to.Remember to take your time.

jerryt74332

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Here is a small list if the crap I forget, or have done wrong.
Set power supply to correct voltage. eg 115v
plug in the 4pin power connector next to the cpu.
reseat the memory a couple of times.
Dont kick it when it does not work.

dasouza

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I rebuilt the whole components four times since last saturday. Also re-checked pins and connectors.

As I said before, I removed the heatsink from the top of the CPU, and I placed it again. I don´t know if I can remove the heatsink and seat it again without reapplying thermal paste. Could it be a problem of thermal paste? May a heatsink with not enough thermal paste make a computer not to boot?

Thanks

inspecter71

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I would think a computer would boot up without thermal paste, but it would definetly over heat quick.I dont think that would be the problem though.

Rimsta

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I have the same problem as you dasouza, you can see my thread somewhere in the front page :(

It was booting up fine for a few days, now the fans start but no signal gets sent the the monitor...

I've rebuilt it a few times, even outside the case, without any luck.

:(

As jerryt mentioned above a common error is to forget you need to plug in the 4 pin cpu plug from the power supply.

If that's not it, I would suggest rebuilding the system outside of the case - set the mobo on a non-conductive surface and then just put in cpu/fan, video card, 1 stick of RAM and 1 stick only!, main power, 12v cpu aux power, video card power, and hook up a monitor. Start it up by jumping the two pins on the mobo which were connected to the power on button on the case.

If that does not work, switch in another stick of RAM.

If that still does not work it is likely either your MOBO or PSU has some sort of problem

dasouza

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Without that ATX 12v cable, computer starts up just for a second, so I think that all the cables are plugged since the computer keeps running with fans, hd..

TRENDING THREADS