Need help with 24"+ Monitor Purchase

gkozi23

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Hi All,

Looking at changing my monitor to a newer 24"+ screen

This monitor will be a general use monitor - internet, office work, emails, some gaming - I know IPS models are better suited for color reproduction etc. for digital imaging but this will almost never be done - but unless someone can give me a great reason not too - I think a TN panel will do

Have the following models in mind

Asus VE276Q
Asus VE278Q
Asus VK246H
Asus VW266H

LG W2442PA-BF
LG E2340T-PN (prefer 24" + but interested in LED comments as well)

Philips 240B1CB

Samsung BX2440X
Samsung P2570
Samsung P2770H

I know Asus on motherboards but how are they on monitors?

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations etc would be greatly appreciated

Currently using an older Samsung Syncmaster 750s to get by :)

Thanks for the help!

Asus monitors are more or less geared towards the "value" segment of LCD monitors. They all use TN panels and they use lots and lots of plastic.

The following link has my review to the Asus VK246H which can also be applied to the VW246H model as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/58336-3-official-flat-panel-monitor-reviews-thread

Generally speaking, LED backlighting offers no significant improvements over traditional florescent backlighting other than power savings. LED lights generally tends to be on the slightly bluish. The average user will not notice the difference. Maybe if the monitor was properly calibrated, then the average person may notice the issue.

But a good colorimeter is nearly the same price of a TN panel monitor.

Adroid

Distinguished
I'll give you a reason not to buy TN, because once you look at a good IPS screen you realize how inferior TN panels are.

A second reason is that Dell just put out a couple e-IPS panels that can be had for around 250$ if you do a little reason and track down a 20% off coupon. Google it.

I went for the Dell U2311H after returning 3 top of the line TN panels. I never knew what I was missing. I'm a gamer, and I also spend a fair amount of time surfing the net etc. I won't be going back to TN panels ever again. I returned a VW266H, and a Samsung P2770H. And trust me, bigger is not always better.

IPS really IS a big difference for color reproduction and overall picture quality.
6-bit vs 8-bit I think makes a difference (by about 23million colors?).

6-bit colors = 2^6 = 2*2*2*2*2*2 = 64

There are 3 primary colors (Red, Green Blue) of which a 6-bit panel can only produce 64 shades per color. That works out to a total of 256K actual colors.

64^3 = 64*64*64 = 256k colors

Using temporal dithering, a TN panel can create (or blend) up to 16.2m - 16.7 colors.

8-bit colors = 2^8 = 2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2 = 256

That means 256 shades of each primary color (RGB) which works out to 16.7m actual colors.

256^3 = 256*256*256 = 16.7m

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
LED hardly gives any power savings. CCFLs light bulbs are advertised as being low power already. LED light bulbs actually consume more power than CCFLs. If you purchased LED light bulbs you will notice that CCFLs have about 3x higher light output per watt and cost about 10x cheaper.

LEDs are only practical in monitors because they can direct light forward a bit better while CCFLs lights in every direction. While most LED monitors are very dim (250cd/m2 is typical) while CCFL monitors have average light output in excess of 300cd/m2, some 3D monitors hit 450cd/m2 and you will need it after those glasses.

So far I think LED is only good for being mercury free. They don't degrade but CCFLs last a very long time and you can usually find replacement lamps.

LCD monitors using LED backlight generally consumes less power than traditional CCFL backlight because there is not a full array of LED lights. All consumer level LED LCD monitors uses edge backlighting which shines light from all 4 edges of the screen into an amorphis material which then reflects the light toward the viewer.

I'm sure the power consumption difference between full array backlit CCFL and LED will be relatively small. Of course a full array LED backlight will increase the cost of the monitor.