Monitor wont support refresh rate in Windows 7

Arunabha42

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I have a pretty crappy crt mionitor and have windows 7 installed. Problem is, on all resolutions, the display is bending at the left and right edges.Ther's a very bright line running along the edge and its curving backwards. I think its because of the high refresh rate of 85 Hz. On xp it used to be fine. Now i cant change the refresh rate. No other rates are displayed, only 85. On xp it used to show 60, 70,72,75, 85.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
arre yaar , yeh 2010 hai . just replace your "crappy" crt monitor . depending on

where you are , it costs 'bout 4500 (15") , 5500 (17") , & 6500 (18.5")

(approx kolkata prices). egulo 2009 er daam . er moddhe kome thakte pare . I got

this lg 18.5'' last year , (16:9 , 30,000:1 , 5 m/s) & this works gr8 . no dead pixels ,

no flicker , very decent viewing angles (for a lcd , that is) . And in any case , nothing

less than 72 hz is worth it whether in crt , or lcd if you don't want a flickering ,

headache inducing screen . A typical CRT also consumes about 100W whereas an

LCD typically consumes about 50W (It varies by model, of course). CRT's are also

much brighter, which means that you can hurt your eyes if you use one in the dark

a lot.

if you have a frame rate of 92 fps and a refresh rate of 85 Hz, you're STILL only

seeing 85 fps (not good !!!) , because that's how fast the monitor can draw the

image. If you have a 5ms LCD, then the most you're seeing is 200 frames per

second (GREAT) . A true 5ms latency (refresh rate) will put you at 200 fps, though

the human eye only samples at 75 Hz, on average.

Arunabha42

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

yeah, right now i wont pretty much be getting a monitor right now, maybe after exams or something....btw you from cal?

G

Sounds like you need to download the latest driver for your video card. It should then recognise the screen as a plug and play monitor -- I'd imagine that at the moment it's set as the default (ie generic) monitor. 60 Hz is the norm for flatscreens.

Arunabha42

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Sounds like you need to download the latest driver for your video card. It should then recognise the screen as a plug and play monitor -- I'd imagine that at the moment it's set as the default (ie generic) monitor. 60 Hz is the norm for flatscreens.

i do. nvidia 257.98 or whatever it is, the july release. yes and it does say all that.
i've figured out that my crt's excessively crappy. only at 1280x1024@60Hz its working perfectly. its the only thing its working at. time to change monitor i guess.
one more thing, if i buy a full hd monitor and i need to decrease resolution to play games how much will it affect quality? i have a gts 250, i was thinking what to buy, 1360x768 or 1680x1050 or 1920x1080. of course full hd would somewhat be future proof.

G

I don't have HD monitor nor play games. If you are still using a CRT the refresh rate is usuall higher than 60Hz and in my experience resolution settings are more critical than with flatscreen in terms of image stability.

Arunabha42

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I don't have HD monitor nor play games. If you are still using a CRT the refresh rate is usuall higher than 60Hz and in my experience resolution settings are more critical than with flatscreen in terms of image stability.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by resolution settings are more critical...in terms of image stability?

G

If you get it wrong it goes out of skew and is horrible to look at.

Flatscreens tend to just work so I would suggest spending less on what students spend money on (food, laundry, home cleaning products, no ?) and give it to the deserving folk at a computer store.