gmcintire

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hello,
I am looking to purchase 2 monitors for home use, mostly for gaming. I am looking for high image quality with no ghosting.

I am currently using 2 24" IPS-based monitors, but need to replace them, and have been torn between going for Asus' 23" 3D monitors, or jumping up to a 27" model.

I've decided IPS is probably way too expensive, and the color-quality is probably lost on my unrefined eyeballs. I'm not doing any photo editing or anything. I know Samsung monitors used to be the best a while ago, but I've been out of the market for a while. Can you offer me some suggestions based on the above?

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
If you are going for gaming at 1080P you should just try 3D. It counts much more in a shooter than better colors.

While at 27" the only thing I can recommend is a large format 2560x1440 display but those are expensive.

Among 3D monitors the best ones is the Asus and the Acer. The asus is better if you want the 3D glasses otherwise the Acer is good without them.

Adroid

Distinguished
Just bought the Dell U2311H. Its an IPS panel I don't notice any ghosting and the picture is much better than all the TN panels I have seen.

I can't recommend any TN panels now after buying that IPS for 250$. But, I would say the Samsung PX2370 was the best looking TN panel I have actually seen.

As far as 27" goes the Samsung P2770H was the best one I have seen, but it was too bright and it hurt my eyes after an hour or so.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
IMG_0132.jpg

30" is amazing but I find 27" to be practically the same thing

I can't in good will recommend a TN panel to anyone unless they are interested in 3D. Thats the only grip TN has over IPS or PVA monitors. Especially when the U2311 or U2211 can be had for such a reasonable price.

The U2311 and U2211 are e-IPS which has higher light transmittance so cheaper and less bright backlights can be used. You still get good color accuracy and wide wiewing angle even with a cheaper backlight.

The H-IPS Dells use more expensive backlights with wider color spectrum and higher brightness but the price is hard to swallow for some.

What I like about Dells and NEC monitors are their stands. You get nothing short of height, swivel and tilt and sometimes even portrait mode. Those TN panels with their flimsy ultra slim crap is just another word for cheap.