24" 1920x1200 gaming monitor options?

Naitachal

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-ZR24w-widescreen-DisplayPort-carbonite/dp/B003GYUCIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1285063797&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2443BW-24-Inch-Monitor/dp/B001EX01YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1285063755&sr=8-1

Looking for a 24" gaming monitor with 1920x1200 resolution, found the above two with enough decent reviews around to make me consider them. They are the HP ZR24W and the Samsung 2443BW.

Are there any other options people would recommend?
Does anyone have any experience with the Samsung or better yet, had the opportunity to compare these two?

A lot of people rate the HP highly but to be honest it is out of my price range, was originally looking for under £200 but as I'm already using a 12xx vertical resolution I don't want to loose any vertical space. If the screen quality/response time etc is that much better with the HP over anything else then I guess I'll have to get saving!

As I mentioned earlier this is primarily used for gaming, occasionally watching films... I have used a PVA (8bit) panel for years with 20ms response time and crazy input lag, so I need a better monitor in terms of gaming but I also don't want to be shocked by poor colours either. Needs to have a DVI connection, any extra connections are a bonus not a necessity. Any advice is greatly appreciated, eager to make a purchase :D

I've had a few Samsung monitors over the years and I've loved them. They are reliable, tend to stay bright for a long time, and provide a crisp picture. Hopefully someone can chime in with an opinion or two of HP monitors.

Naitachal

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
After reading up some more I think I'm leaning towards the colour reproduction of the IPS panel, but concerned the response time/input lag is too high for fps gaming... I'll have a dig around for some figures/reviews though if anyone has experience playing games on the HP would be useful to hear about your experiences.

Games I'm playing are mostly Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft, Modern Warfare 2, Crysis etc

prldecivic

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I play WOW on a old 20inch lcd Dell monitor i bought 6 years ago (fp2001), it has 16ms response time and i dont have any problems at all. I just built a new PC and want a new monitor and that Dell has done me right, no problems, still looks great.

I'm looking at this:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9271

8MS is better then the 16MS of my current one and this is a IPS monitor. Granted im just going by what i see, im not a "techy" or anything im actually pretty clueless when it comes down to how monitors work but the monitor in the link i provided seems like a good choice to me. Any other opinions?

The HP ZR24W has a response time of 5ms and has input lag of 10ms.

That's slightly slower response time compared to 2ms that some TN panel monitors have. Input lag is actually pretty good for an IPS type panel; not every single TN panel can claim to be tested to have only 10ms of input lag.

16.667ms = 1 frame of lag.

The only IPS panel monitor that I know of which has lower input lag is the Planar PX2611w which I own. It has been tested to have less than 8ms of lag (or less than half a frame). However, it is no longer in production. Addtionally it uses the more expensive H-IPS panel as opposed to the more economical e-IPS panel.

I purchased my PX2611w for $790 including shipping and that was actually the lowest price I saw for that monitor. While they can still be purchased in new condition, the price (excluding shipping) have risen to start at about $925.

TRENDING THREADS