So much research, so little progress... 24" advice

jktstance

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I've done a lot of research online and it seems there is no consensus on good quality monitors in the 23" - 25" range that aren't over $500.

One that I've seen is the ASUS VW266H which is on the large end for me. Anything larger than that 25.5" is probably too much.

I'm looking for a 16:10 ratio, as the 16:9 1920x1080 monitors are a little too wide for me.

Most of the cheaper monitors are TN panels, which seems to make some people RAGE on these nerdy forums. Is IPS panels that much better? I'm going to be gaming on these mostly. Very little TV/movie watching, so I prefer the 16:10 ratio for more desktop real estate and vertical viewing in games.

I have a GTX 285 card, if that makes a difference.

As I'm a perfectionist, I'm planning on ordering from NCIXUS.com, as they have an extra policy you can buy (around $20-30) where you can replace monitors with any amount of dead pixels. I live in an area where there are no (decent) local stores, so I can't test out monitors for dead/stuck pixels, so I'm forced to play the pixel lottery when ordering online.

Scanlia

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I've never come across a dead pixel before, so I wouldn't worry. It think that with $500, you could get a LED tv, or a good 3D monitor to go with your GTX 285. For gamind, you are also looking for Contrast ratio, I would recommend above 50,000 Dynamic Contrast ratio, it will give you better colour for dark gaming. Maybe Dell's 3D Optx Monitor?

Adroid

Distinguished
If you are not a FPS player, bite the bullet and get the Dell IPS good 24" for 500$.

Otherwise, you are in the same boat as me and a bunch of other guys.. Whatever you do, don't buy that Asus - it sucks. I really like the Samsung P2770H but it was too bright it hurt my eyes.

I'm looking at my LED options currently, hoping a 24" with show up soon...

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
haha i feels ya mr thread starter. Don't get da nerds started on that TN panel....its only bc they spent an entire 1 month paycheck on their dell ultrasharp 24" thou.

guess i'll go get that $200 acer until IPS gets cheaper or 3d monitors become practical.

Adroid

Distinguished

Don't hold your breath for IPS to get cheaper.. Its a more expensive way to manufacture, and top of the line in the color department.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Yep, ended up buying the dell ultrasharp 23" as it is possibly the cheapest IPS that still has a decent response time. I'll let you gentlemen know how that works out in about a week. Dell is taking forever on the shipping. In fact the order status says "in production". haha...not looking good.

There are significant advantages of an IPS panel based monitor over a TN panel based monitor.. Wide viewing angles, higher color metrics, better contrast production to name a few.. However, they are more suited for design professionals and demanding users though.. Hardcore gamers can live with a TN panel screen which gives faster response times and lower input lags, two essential parameters for gaming and fast motion video.. But for the most discerning user and/or for someone with a relatively high budget, an IPS panel monitor is highly recommended.. My personal favourite here is the HP LP2475W.. It has got almost every feature and connectivity integrated.. Its specs make it very versatile and suits even the hardcore gamers.. Image quality is impeccable.. The pricing is rather sweet for everything it offers..

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
yeah an IPS panel is not at all needed for gaming.

The Cliche advice that TN panels are "good enough" for most gamers is really bs. Unless you have a good amount of cash to spare or your doing a lot of photo editing then yeah get a large IPS. Otherwise TN panels are really great.

viewing angle really is not important to most folks as well, but IPS is much better in that area.

jsimpso55

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

Why do you say "if you are not an FPS player"? I was about to buy the Dell IPS 24" for $500 and I primarily play FPS. Is the 6 millisecond response time too slow for FPS?

Thanks

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-dell-u2410.html

The Dell IPS' are a great deal. I read a review for the 23" dell before I bought it and it rated much better in the response time category. Somewhere in the range of 8ms...as opposed to a competing NEC 23" IPS with 30ms.

I have played battlefield bc2 and just cause 2 on the 23" and don't notice any lag. Just very slightly more vivid colors lol.

Adroid

Distinguished
I would say that the Dell IPS 24" Ultrasharp has held its rank of one of the top choices of monitors for gamers and non gamers alike for several years now.

No I'm not working for Dell, and no I probably wont buy one any time soon.

As the for FPS issue, its reported that there is some "ghosting" with the 24" Ultrasharp. The newer models may have less - I'm not an expert here, but I have repeatedly seen that being a issue, though overall most people I have read are very, very happy with the Dell 24"

I know TN Panels are supposedly "good enough for most gamers", but I tell you from my experience (and I bought and returned a couple now), the colors are ass. Thats why I am using a several year old viewsonic right now.

So far, the Samsung TN panels are the best I have personally looked at, but they are so bright they about burn your eyes out of your sockets.. At least the 27" one was. And if you turn the brightness down enough, you can forget seeing your greyscale.