I Need some advice and recomendation from the pro´s

jzfernandez21

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Hi am new around here but have been around the site for along time and learning new things from most of u guyz.

right now i am in the proces of buying new computer wich is a big step for me coming from a Dell with a intel celleron 2.0 and onboard graphics lol.

here is what i have so far search and aim to buy for next week.

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe @ 2.13GHz and overclock it @ 3.0

Memory
Wintec Ampx pc 6400 2GB DDR2 @ 800mhz

Hard Disk
Seagate barracuda 320GB (Sata version)

DVD Burner
Lite-On 20x sata & with lightscribe

Case
NZXT Lexa

PSU
Ultra X-Infinity 600W Sli ready

and here are the hard desitions part, video card & mother board and here are my 2 options for the video card.

*Either the MSI 8600gts 256MB or the EVGA 8800gts 640MB
i know that even 2 8600gts on SLI will perform mostly under against the 8800gts due to the 128-bit vs 320-bit diferences there fore i am leaning more to the 8800gts (sure the 320 version is cheaper but for 50 bucks more and better looks didint see it) the hard thing is if right now curent games will show a major diferance between the 8600gts and 8800gts playing with everithing maxed at 1600 x 1200 resolution and 1024 x 768
and i also keeping in mind the new DX10 games that are coming so i have to take that on mind, wich one is going to give me the best bang for my cash for the next 1 or 2 years and actualy be the best investment.

*now as for a mother board i have my eyes on 3 boards and the question if 8x sli and 16x sli shows any big diferances.

EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR wich is at Newegg for about $159

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-1A wich is at amazon for about $245

and finaly the ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI for $126

i dont know if theres any differences between the NF63-TR and NF68-1A and whats their quality since theres a huge gap in price between them also theres any visible performence between SLI @ 8X and SLI @ 16X .

i am just going to do some mid-low overcloking and the SLI function is kinda sweet if i hit a good bet and buy another card i´ll have room for it also i might aswell buy a sound card to at least get a beter sound quality and to take some weigt off the CPU

and about the budget lets say i did sacrifice big time and if the video card is the best choise to opt for the 8800gts then screw the sound card ill go onboard sound and let u guyz help me choose the best motherboard for me for the money and that will give me the best of use and looks.

thanx i realy apreciate your opinions and advices since i am planing to stay with this sysem for quite long and be able to make with it future upgrades.

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
i would go for the GF8800GTS 640mb.
i personally am a fan of the GF8600GTs because its cheaper and would work for my budget
but from what i have seen i think that if you can afford it then go for it

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Yeah get the 8800.

For a motherboard with good onboard sound look at the Asus P5N32-E SLI, see my sig, I love this board.

Yes there is a difference between 8x & 16x SLI, but chances are you will never use SLI unless you are planning on buying a monster sized monitor in the future. So you could go with a non-SLI board that is cheaper (Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3) and either get one with onboard sound, or buy a cheap sound card (X-Fi Extreme). If you're looking for a good upgrade path, you could look at the upcoming Intel P35 chipset based motherboards, you should be able to buy one soon. They support 1333fsb and DDR2 or DDR3. Early reviews are showing this chipset has significant performance increases over current chipsets with the same hardware.

You should try to overclock to 3.2Ghz to get a 1:1 ratio with your RAM, if you can't get stable at 3.2Ghz, try 3.0 or 2.8Ghz, but underclock your RAM to keep the 1:1 ratio.

I haven't seen a 20x DVD drive yet, if it's any more expensive than a 16x or 18x it wouldn't be worth it. Most disks are only capable of 4x anyway, and any DVD I tried to burn faster turned into a coaster. Lightscribe disks are really hard to find, never seem to have jewel cases, and kinda a pain in the ass to set up. I have only had the use for it once, and I might as well have used a magic marker, would've been quicker, easier, and looked just as good.