Monitor Bleeding a norm?

OutrightKain

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I recently returned a 23" Samsung Syncmaster PX 2370 after deciding that I wasn't quite satisfied with the intense contrast of LED backlighting, because I was unable to get it under control no matter what I tried. I now have just received my ASUS 23" VH236H, after reading how successful it is.
My concern: I noticed that the Samsung had a bit of backlight bleeding toward the bottom of the monitor, and decided it was a flaw. However, I notice that the ASUS has virtually an identical issue. One method I used for detection was the "Sticky Note" program in Windows. One note at the bottom appears almost white while the note at the top appears well colored.
Is this simply an issue that you should expect on any monitor? If so: this blows. My old 19" Gateway monitor had a similar problem, but to a much less severe degree.
If it is of concern: I sit approximately one and a half feet from my monitor, and have tried lowering my seat, and changing the monitor angle, seeming to make no difference with the problem. Thanks!

Solution
All LCD monitors have bleeding to some degree, it is simply a limitation of the technology. What you are seeing is most likely a combination of both bleeding and limited viewing angles of monitors using TN panels; colors fade the more off center you are.

Based on my experience TN panel LCD monitors seem to have more issues with bleeding than PVA, MVA and IPS panels. TN panels costs less to manufacture than the others I mentioned. They also suffer more off angle color fading than the other panel types; that's a fact.
All LCD monitors have bleeding to some degree, it is simply a limitation of the technology. What you are seeing is most likely a combination of both bleeding and limited viewing angles of monitors using TN panels; colors fade the more off center you are.

Based on my experience TN panel LCD monitors seem to have more issues with bleeding than PVA, MVA and IPS panels. TN panels costs less to manufacture than the others I mentioned. They also suffer more off angle color fading than the other panel types; that's a fact.

Solution