Need to spend over £200 (weird situation)

freols

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
A bit of a weird situation really, I won't go into the details, but I need to spend £200 or more on computer components now. If I wait any longer I won't have this money...
However, I have heard 2 things:

1. New "P35" boards are coming out in two months or so, this is a consideration for memory too I assume.

2. ATI's answer to Nvidea's latest card will be coming out in 2 months or so.

SO:

The question is, what components can I buy now that will work with this torrent of new stuff that is due out in a couple of months that will not depreciate in value too drastically.
The only thing I can think of is a PSU and hard drive... which is less than £200 worth of stuff.

I need future proof stuff now, it seems I can't do this with regards to memory or graphics cards.

What kind of things should I be buying?

wilcoxon

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
My two initial thoughts are a new CPU or GPU. Both will obviously not be as high-end as they are right now in a few months (with the speed of new products).

An Intel Dual Core E6700 is about the right price (I think) while a X6800 is alot more than 200 pounds.

An 8800GTX (or even GTS) will be a good graphics card for at least a couple years (even if it isn't the king anymore).

You could probably get a nVidia 680i motherboard and Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 CPU for around that price. The E4300 is not top-of-the-line but is relatively inexpensive and is supposed to overclock very well.