Help choosing Gaming monitor (update, IPS and Response time questions)

bastyn99

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Hi Toms Hardware Forum guys.
Im buying a new computer soon and with it, a new Monitor but im having trouble choosing between two particular monitors.
At first I was gonna get the Alienware Optx aw2210 but apparently it isnt that good a gaming monitor or am I wrong ?
instead I found these two monitors: Dell SP2309w and Samsung SyncMaster PX2370. The thing im wondering is, which one has the best colours ? as theyre both TN panels I dont think the input lag or response time is a problem so I dont worry about that. another thing is the Dells strange resolution, I heard that could be a problem.
A sharp image with deep and great looking colors is very important to me, and some decent response times as I will be using it for gaming monstly.
Also if you know of any other good LCD monitors in the 350-400$ range with decent response times, min. 21" size, 1980x1080 resolution and awesome colors ( an IPS panel would be nice but theyre just so expensive ), recommendations would be appreciated.
thank you for reading

EDIT: Ive been looking at IPS panels and found the HP ZR24W monitor which looks nice and have been recommended here on Toms Hardware but heres my question: The Response time is 5ms Gray-to-Gray and 12ms Rise+Fall. Ive read that below 16ms is enough that we wont be able to see a difference but is this true ? will I see a difference between this and a 2ms monitor ? And also, how much prettier is the colors and image on an IPS panel than a TN panel ? Will I see a big difference ?

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

I would look for 2ms access time which is the norm now for FPS. It means gray to gray its fast but for colors its slower at 12ms. You want to get one that says 2ms-5ms for all modes.