mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
This morning, I was using my desktop and everything was running smoothly. All of a sudden, my monitor screen went black. I know that the desktop is running just fine and that there is indeed a problem with the monitor (since there are still sounds from windows). The monitor's built in speakers are working. However, the monitor is completely black. It does not show any "No Signal Input" messages (which usually show up when the computer is off but the monitor is on. I already checked the cables in the back and everything is connected properly? What could possibly be wrong with the monitor? It's an Atec NeoView Al181. It is several years old. Could someone please help me out with this problem? I would greatly appreciate constructive input. Let me know if you need more info.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Did you by any chance, played a game (or ran an application ) and changed the resolution inside of it? Or have you tried change your resolution to something else than what you usually would keep as your default?

Try booting the PC into "SAFE MODE"? I had a similar problem, but my monitor would tell me that it's "Out of Sync Range".

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

No, I was just checking emails when this happened. How do I boot into safe mode if the monitor doesn't show anything? The screen is completely black (no messages, nothing).

1. Try disconnecting the video cable from both video card and the monitor, then reconnect.

2. Try to borrow a video cable in case #1 does not work to determine if it is a faulty cable.

3. While booting up, shine a flashlight on the screen where you expect to text or icons. If you see something, then that means the backlight has died and you need to get a repair estimate. Depending on the estimate you can either have the monitor repaired or simply buy a new monitor.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

I tried your steps just now. My desktop doesn't use a graphics card. It has on-board graphics built into the motherboard (and the motherboard is only a few months old). However, I did disconnect the cables and reconnect them just to see if it would do anything, but it didn't. I used a DVI cable (instead of a VGA cable, which I had used previously to connect the monitor). However, the results are still the same. I also shined a flashlight at the screen, but it's still completely black when the desktop is on. What could have possibly gone wrong?

Sprint6

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
yes there is a possible power board problem inside the monitor. But you should ether try your monitor on another computer or another computer to see it your monitor responds the same way.
If it is the same or a different monitor works ok, you can assume that your monitor is the faulty unit.
you can contact me at email Sprint6@zoominternet.net. to discuss symptoms deeper. or setup something to get it repaired for you.
hope this helps
Rodger