AGP and DDR - looking for £100-120 upgrade.

Plummer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
My current rig is as in my sig (if more information is needed, just say) and I'm looking for a more overclockable motherboard and CPU for around £120.

I have watercooling on the CPU and GPU (crazy, I know - Switech Apogee and MCW60-B with a double 120mm rad) but I have a crappy board with a crappy northbridge.

My current thoughts are:
DFI Lanparty 875P-T
Pentium 4 650

Also, here is the CPU support list for that board - it would seem to be pretty picky.

If any of you guys could suggest a sensible board that is available in the UK, I'd really appreciate it. Finding a CPU seems to be a little easier, but any pointers here would be great too.

Apple_Fritters

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Opinion: Save your money, the gains are slim. You'd be better off putting it toward a brand new build. No new builds will take DDR1 or AGP, so keep your current computer as back-up or sell it.

Plummer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Trouble is - being only 16, money is tight. It'd probably be late summer before a full new build is on the cards. I'd quite like a boost prior to that.

Would you still suggest waiting?

Plummer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
But a µATX board is unlikely to have the kind of overclocking options that I'd quite like.

That's the main reason or this upgrade, TBH.
Sorry to be fussy.

Plummer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Why do people always quote to newegg and such when the people are in the UK??? Really frsutrating when people do that....What is the point when over in the UK we cant ever get stuff from newegg?
And VAT screws up any plans of having a friend send it over! Grrrrr.

Weak dollar and we can't even take advantage of it! :cry:

Apple_Fritters

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Newegg makes it easy to search for products. It lists detailed specs. It even gives customer reviews. I look stuff up on Newegg then go looking for the best price, often Newegg is the best price in US. To tell the truth, I don't even know the exchange rate for the pound. So I just guessed.

Plummer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
And that's with a vCore boost, and I'd need to play around with a RAM divider as my RAM isn't great.

I'll see if I can find a sensible s939 board.

(I just won't give up, will I?)