32-46" (1080p) LCD gaming HDTV or 30" PC monitor? please recommend

agentdcooper

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Here's my background :: I have been using 21" Sony Trinitron CRT monitors forever, just because I've never spent the cash on an LCD, so Im new to this. I game on my PC (FPS primarily), I do NOT own any consoles, nor ever expect to - but I want blu-ray down the road. I watch all my movies on my PC. Ideally, I'd like to use a HDTV set as a PC monitor really because of sheer SIZE... I am NOT AGAINST a 30" PC monitor, and half think I might want to get one instead if someone is persuasive enough (I quite like the sounds of the well-rounded Dell 3007WFP-HC, and Gateway XHD3000 for native resolution gaming).

I've been pouring over reviews, reading forums, yadda yadda... I just cant quite find the right HDTV or monitor for me. I want something with low lag for games, sharp text for web browsing, and would also like to find something that has the capability to watch HD movies in 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 + has full HDCP compliance - and lastly P-in-P would be cool, but not necessary.

So what do you guys think of this monitor/HDTV? = Sharp Aquos LC37GP1U 37-Inch 1080p LCD Gaming HDTV

By the description it sounds like it has just about everything - I'd love to locate something like that = a 1080p LCD gaming HDTV but if possible even bigger as long as the lag is low.

Is there a 42" or 46" LCD HDTV around that is good for gaming, has sharp text, and ideal for being used as a PC monitor? personally, I'd love to grab a display larger then 32 inches.

This is another HDTV I saw with low latency (4.5ms), 10bit IPS that sounds pretty decent = JVC LT-47X898 or the JVC LT-42X899 8ms 2008 model.

I own 2x eVGA NVidia 9800 GTX in SLI'd = to drive whatever monitor or HDTV I buy. I think I am leaning towards buying a HDTV because they are larger then 30"s - I just haven't seen a PC monitor bigger then 30" that has all the HD capabilites I am looking for + low lag...

Please help, please make a recommendation - I have ~$1600 to shell out for a decent display. TIA.

peace-
agentdcooper

I'd go with the 30" monitor. The extra resolution is quite significant for gaming, and would be an incredible experience (assuming you have the graphics horsepower to drive it).

agentdcooper

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008

thanks for the quick reply! 30" eh? I like that idea as well, but which 30" monitor is the best for what I am looking to do with it?

feel free to throw out suggestions =)

For that, the Dell Ultrasharp 3008 is nice (if you have the cash - it's on the high end of your stated budget). I'm not really familiar with others as much though, so I'm not sure which is the best to chose.

agentdcooper

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008

thanks for the suggestion, which Dell r u talking about? there is the Dell 3008wfp and 3008wfp-hc ... I linked a review for each monitor, both seem to be the best review for each respective monitor IMHO. too bad though, the Dell 3008 series monitor just has waaaayyyy tooo much input lag = ~46ms (according to both those linked reviews), which means they are "consistently 3 images behind" :ouch:

Im thinking if I went with a 30" Dell, it would definitely be the 3007WFP-HC, which I've heard you can get one for $750 thru the Dell Outlet!

I think Im gonna go with a 30" monitor, and right now I think it's between the Dell 3007WFP-HC, DoubleSight DS-305W, or the Gateway XHD3000.

personally, I am leaning toward the Gateway XHD3000, but the one thing I have yet to find out any hard #s on is the input lag (specifically the input lag @ native rez = 2560x1600 vs non-native rez input lag) on this beast.

if anyone has any more suggestions/comments, feel free to weigh in - I think I am going to pull the trigger and buy a 30" within 2days, so I am all ears!

-peace-
agentdcooper

I've heard of issues with the 3007 and HDCP - that's why I didn't recommend it. As for the 3008, I don't think there is a separate HC model as far as I know - at least one isn't listed on Dell's website. As far as I can tell, all of them are the high color gamut models.

agentdcooper

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008

really?! I didn't know the dell 3007's had HDCP issues! this article/review says specifically;
The 3007WFP-HC has a DVI interface and is HDCP compatible.

where did u hear there were HDCP issues with the 3007? I ask because I am considering the Dell 3007WFP-HC and want to ensure I research everything I can, specifically any gotchas regarding hidef+HDCP support!

maybe u were talking about the 3007WFP, non-HC monitor? I noticed u said u weren't aware of there being a 3007WFP-HC, but oh yes they do exist

It's possible. Dell has excellent customer service, so if you do experience problems, you shouldn't worry too much. I'll see if I can find a source for it - I just seem to remember hearing about those problems at some point.

As for the 3007-HC, I know that exists. I have a friend who has one. What I said is that IIRC, there is no separate 3008-HC model.

agentdcooper

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008

good call! NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi 30" is a damn nice monitor, buuuuut, unfortunately for me, outta my price-range :cry:

I bit the bullet and went with this bad boy = Gateway XHD3000, I found it for $899.99 and also purchased a 3year warrant thru J&R Music and Computer World - total with shipping ended up being $1039.67 ... all-in-all I think I will be happy with the display, but just in case I have an issue with lag or what-not, I confirmed with the J&R rep that I could return the monitor for full refund as long as I send it back within 30days.

we shall see how things work out. I also sprung for an eVGA GTX 260 superclocked, which should run this hellatious monitor fine. time will tell, now the hard part = waiting for delivery :ouch:

smoka

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
I have a Samsung T260 which I use for work (software development), movies, and some light gaming (mainly TFS). I absolutely love it. I paid $325 used on ebay around November 2009 (I believe MSRP is $400). I also looked at the Dell Ultrasharp and Apple Cinema Displays, which seem to be the most popular if money is not an option. The Dell 27" runs about $1000 and the 30" is about $1500, The Apple Cinema Display also looked sweet, but it was $899/$1799 for the 24"/30" respectively. The Samsung T260 fit my budget and is the perfect size for gaming in my opinion.

And as far as the 2560 resolution gaming, that would drop your framerates significantly, unless you have a $300+ graphics car. I have a mid-range GT250 (probably considered a budget card now), which handles all my games nicely at 1920 resolution. Also, I don't think many game manufacturers do too much testing past 1920 resolution due to cost of those panels and that 1920 is the mainstream "HD" resolution. For up-close text resolution, you probably don't want a 30" because that will make you go blind.

Now given that you want a 32"-46", I am not sure if the 1920 resolution would look as good up-close, so 2560 would be a good option. You can get the Samsung "C" series at $750 for a 40" - Samsung 40C630 120HZ (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40C630-40-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0036WT3P2/)

russ-41

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Hi man,

Ive got a 3007wfp possibly up for sale (next day warranty till 2012) and might be selling my 3008 HC with HDMI inputs an everything, not sure how much warranty is on that but at least another year I would say is there a for sale section on here