HP 2709m 27" Monitor

Has anyone purchased or had a chance to try out the new HP 2709m 27" Monitor?
The specs look really good but sometimes things are different in real world applications.
I'm looking for a review of sorts.

Thank You!
9 answers Last reply
More about 2709m monitor
  1. Well, I've got an HP 2228h. The display quality is great, and the built-in USB hub helped me with cable management. It takes up a bit too much space on the desk though, as the stand is designed to let the monitor swivel 90 degrees into landscape mode.

In short, I'm just assuming what made my display a great choice extends to the 2709m.
  2. r_manic said:

In short, I'm just assuming what made my display a great choice extends to the 2709m.

That is a poor assumption.
  3. Update !!!

I took a chance and made the purchase. Very bad decision!
    If you are in the market for a monitor for playing games, I would definitely not recommend this monitor.

1) Very washed out colors and everything seemed way too bright. I tried adjusting all the settings but could never could get it to look good. There is a gaming setting which made it even worse.

2) Very bad viewing angle. Even if it's just a few degrees off to either the right or left.

Conclusion: This may be good for an office or everyday computing but do not make the purchase if you are a gamer.
    I have since returned it.

If you are looking for a nice monitor at a decent price, try the LG W2753V 27" Monitor. It has a better Contrast Ratio and a faster response time. Check it out at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005127

Note: For the LG W2753V Monitor, read the manual before turning the monitor on for the first time. You will find 2 things in particular while reading it that I found important.

1) Allow the display to stabilize for at least 30 minutes before making image adjustments.
    2) If you are having problems with the buttons, press the "Smart" button on the monitor and set the "Live Sensor" to the "Off" position. When in the "On" position, this function turns on the button LED for pushing comfortable. It detects the presence of the users hand before touch it. This drove me nuts and was very difficult to maneuver so I turned it off.

I hope this helps.
  4. mbrayton said:
    Update !!!

I took a chance and made the purchase. Very bad decision!
    If you are in the market for a monitor for playing games, I would definitely not recommend this monitor.

1) Very washed out colors and everything seemed way too bright. I tried adjusting all the settings but could never could get it to look good. There is a gaming setting which made it even worse.

2) Very bad viewing angle. Even if it's just a few degrees off to either the right or left.

Conclusion: This may be good for an office or everyday computing but do not make the purchase if you are a gamer.
    I have since returned it.

If you are looking for a nice monitor at a decent price, try the LG W2753V 27" Monitor. It has a better Contrast Ratio and a faster response time. Check it out at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005127

Note: For the LG W2753V Monitor, read the manual before turning the monitor on for the first time. You will find 2 things in particular while reading it that I found important.

1) Allow the display to stabilize for at least 30 minutes before making image adjustments.
    2) If you are having problems with the buttons, press the "Smart" button on the monitor and set the "Live Sensor" to the "Off" position. When in the "On" position, this function turns on the button LED for pushing comfortable. It detects the presence of the users hand before touch it. This drove me nuts and was very difficult to maneuver so I turned it off.

I hope this helps.

mine looks excellent i dont know what you done or didnt do to it but mine turned out awesome after a little color correction.
  5. darthlaidher said:
    mine looks excellent i dont know what you done or didnt do to it but mine turned out awesome after a little color correction.

I'm sure it looks excellent if your name is Mr. Magoo (just kidding)!
    Seriously though, If you had both the LG W2753V and the HP 2709m sitting side by side, you would change your mind. Believe me when I say the LG is much cleaner and more vibrant than the HP and I didn't have to make any changes to the colors. It looks fantastic right out of the box.
  6. mbrayton said:
    I'm sure it looks excellent if your name is Mr. Magoo (just kidding)!
    Seriously though, If you had both the LG W2753V and the HP 2709m sitting side by side, you would change your mind. Believe me when I say the LG is much cleaner and more vibrant than the HP and I didn't have to make any changes to the colors. It looks fantastic right out of the box.

i dont know how much more vibrant the colors can get the color on my monitor is perfect. maybe you got a defective monitor or something. im glad your happy with your LG but i disagree with what you said about the HP monitor.
  7. That's okay. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Have a good folks and thanks again for your input.
  8. I received my HP 2709 today. Hooked it up via HDMI to my Vaio, at 1920x1080 resolution the image is bigger than the screen so you cannot see the taskbar, or the top of your browser window, etc. Clicking "Auto" button which should auto correct the image size and position does nothing, resetting to the "Factory Settings" does nothing, the screen doesn't even blink or reset. No matter what the resolution is that I set it to, the text is fuzzy, as if there is super antialiasing overdose of some sort in effect... Colors, don't even get me started, from any angle at all, it looks red... I would not recommend it to anyone at all.

Maxx.
  9. Im sure it looks good as long as its not defective. Im torn between glossy and non glossy. I read an article from Xbitlabs, but it only confusd me worse. It said that response time does matter, which I am sure it does.

But when you research real response time, claims of 2ms response time seems "inflated". Especially when the Planar "budget" IPS supposedly is better for games than some TN panels.

Other size screens might be a better option. Dot pitch is very large on 27 inch screens. They are so big that the dot pitch probably has to be larger.

My 25.5 (26?) KDS has a much better dot pitch but not as good contrast and it is pretty decent.
Ask a new question

Read More

Flat Panel Monitors Hewlett Packard Monitors Peripherals