Solved

Difference between Monitor and LCD TV monitor?

What is the difference between a 30-inch LCD TV monitor that i can buy for $400.00 and an actual 30-inch PC monitor that cost about 4-5 times more? Monitors have never been my thing and would like to know the idfference... Thanks

J.P.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about difference monitor lcd monitor
  1. Best answer
    First and most noticable is resolution and pixel density.

Both panels are 30" but the monitor would definitely have 16:10 aspect ratio and the TV would have a 16:9 aspect ratio. So the monitor gives you more pixels.

Apart from the ratio the pixel density of the monitor is almost double that of a TV, at 2560x1600 rather than 1920x1080. So if you think blu-ray is good quality, a 30" monitor almost doubles that.

Panel type is also different. TVs are usually PVA panels which are very good but most monitors like the LG and Dell 30" use a S-IPS panel technology. You get more color accuracy, gammut, and viewing angle.
  2. I believe 30" LCD HDTVs are 1280 x 768 resolution. LCD monitors that are 1920 x 1080 start at 32" to the best of my knowledge.

HDTVs generally use S-PVA panels, however cheaper ones most likely uses TN panels, while some HDTVs; like my LG 47LH90; use S-IPS panels.
  3. My friend has a 27" HDTV at 1080P

I have a 30" LG and I can say it is much better than any HDTV but very expensive.
  4. Best answer selected by jonpaul37.
Ask a new question

Read More

Flat Panel Monitors TV LCD Monitors Peripherals