Benq FP202W fuzzy text(1 pixel shadow to left) problem

BenQ-FP202W

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Hi guys,

I need some help/inputs from you guys. I've posted a similar thread over at WSGF and I've decided to post here too to get more input from you guys.

Here's the original post

==============================

It's me again and I'm experiencing yet another problem with this monitor. If you had read my previous post regarding this monitor, you would have known that I'm experiencing a problem with this monitor.

So, after making numerous trips up and down regarding the backlight bleeding problem, I've finally give up and decided to live with it. (The last set was slightly less severe than my previous sets.)

Now, on to the fuzzy text problem.

Since the first day I bought this monitor, I realised that the text seems kind of fuzzy and it isn't as sharp as my previous LCD monitor, but I couldn't pinpoint the exact reason behind this. I've tried using different graphics adapters, as well as switching between DVI and D-SUB mode, but the 1pixel-shadow-to-the-left thing still happens. So I've come to a conclusion that the 1pixel shadow happens no matter what resolution(i enabled 1:1 pixel scaling in ATI's control panel so no stretching is done for resolutions below 1680x1050, no matter what mode, DVI or D-SUB.

(I realised that every set I changed around 5 months ago exhibits this fuzzy text problem.)

Interestingly enough, I recently stumbled upon this article regarding the earlier DELL 2*07 RevA00 monitors, which had the same fuzzy text problem that I face. However though, it seems DELL fixed the later revisions with, presumably a firmware revision :?:

An example of the problem as stated in the article:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/dell_2xx7wfp_2.htm#text
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/dell_2407wfp/2407_textblur.jpg

-----------

It seems like Dell has solved the problem with a new firmware fix though.

As can be seen above, the DELL shadows to the top, but, the BenQ FP202W seems to shadow to the left instead. This problem is extremely obvious when ClearType is disabled & non anti-aliased Chinese/Japanese characters, etc are displayed. See below for an example.

Original screen capture of sample text.

originalax4.jpg

Notice the 1pixel shadow to the left when displayed on the BenQ

fp202w1da6.jpg

fp202w2fz0.jpg

Perfect. No shadow displayed on a generic HP laptop LCD

laptopxg4.jpg

I was wondering if BenQ could solve it via a firmware fix though, because when accessing the monitor's main menu, the text is SHARP and spot on, without creating any 1pixel shadow.

I guess this problem is most probably created by the chip responsible for processing the VGA/DVI signals on the monitor :?:

So, do you guys encounter this fuzzy text problem too?

=======================
Some updates
=======================

Yesterday, I went down to Benq service centre to change a set. The set was manufactured in May 2006, compared to the Mar 2006 batch I had.

However, the 1-pixel shadow to the left problem still happens, even when used with the system there. Thus, I can conclude that these revisions are affected by a 1-pixel shadow to the left problem.

March 2006 Rev BAE
March 2006 Rev A0-110
March 2006 Rev A1-110

May 2006 Rev A1-110

I'm waiting for a solution from Benq's HQ for now.

Users with the above revisions, please post your findings here, thank you!

louky

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I didn't read your whole post, but just based on the title (1 px shadow to the left), try this:

open control panel, open the display icon, go to the appearance tab, click effects button, tick use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts, select cleartype, hit ok.

In the past I have found this to work for me, if it doesn't for you or if it's already mentioned in one of your threads, sorry.

BenQ-FP202W

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Some updates,

One user over WSGF reported that text is perfect on his June 2006 batch.

I have a June 06 rev:A0.111 and my text is perfect

If the fuzzy text problem was solved in the Jun 2006 set, wouldn't it be too much of a coincidence that the DELL 2*07 Rev A01(the revision that supposingly fixed the fuzzy text issue) sets are released around that period(that is, June) too?

From this link, it seems that BenQ assembles the DELL 2407 panels(not sure if it does so for the 2007 though, but one thing in common is that the earlier batch of Dell 2007, 2407(Before RevA01) have the same fuzzy text problem as the Benq FP202W) So, I'm wondering, is this problem somewhat related to BenQ?

What I really want to know is whether others, minority or majority, are experiencing FUZZY TEXT, especially when looking at colored text. It's quite bad when viewing blue or red text on websites, more so when the text is overlayed on a black background. This issue has become quite annoying because I have to either squint or highlight the text to be able to read it.

If others are experiencing horrid fuzzy text on the 2007wfp, please post about it and the severity of it, thanks.

I've snapped a few pics of the fuzzy text I'm experiencing. Connection is through DVI, with resolution at 1680x1050 and refresh at 60. Cleartype is off. I've tried both on and off, but the same fuzzy effect still occurs.

The images were taken from a monitor review praising another monitor, how ironic..

Just scroll till about the middle of the thread to see where I'm testing from.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1026462&page=1

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8216/close0ae.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5309/wide3we.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wide26wh.jpg

Note that on the first image, I highlight the text to "try" and show that there is a difference in sharpness. I wish the pics I took were able to clearly show how bad it is, but my photography skills are not that great. The blur you see with the colored text is about twice as worst, and even though the white text looks fuzzy as well (due to my camera skills) it isn't.

It seems to me that the colored text is not a uniform color, but pixels of lighter shades are used as well to render the letters and a shadow above the text is noticable, also reported in the the 2407wfp.

I notice the same fuzzy text on my 2007WFP, its especially apparent in blue and red on dark backgrounds. It's nearly impossible to read.

Needless to say I'll be RMA'ing it shortly and looking for another monitor to replace it with.

Boxed,RMA'd and ready to return.
Dell 2007fp
Made in Mexico, March 2006, Rev A00.
Panel info: B01C18 SAM UXGA LTM201U1 (Samsung S-PVA)

Issues:

Text Blur:
There is a pixel wide mild blur that was not there on the 2405 which was pixel perfect. Not only that but attempts to photograph the screen are always showing rainbow moire. Which again was not there on the 2405, which points to an instability in the display as well. More signs of poor support electronics. I didn't have both monitors at the same time so I didn't shoot the same thing. But this is representative of the differences in clarity and pixel bleed.
http://i.pbase.com/o4/04/606404/1/59944402.textComp.jpg

I have a question for some of you? Are the 2007WFP ownwers seeing blurred text as well. It is subtle and you probably wouldn't notice unless you know what a good LCD should look like. I have seen other reports of it on the 2407 and the 2007fp and here is my own pic of my 2007fp:

When using the 2007WFP i saw:

3. Red colored text was blurry to the point where i had to get closer to the screen.

Also look closely for text blurring like this(shut off font smoothing):

spronkey: Thanks for the update. Particularly the text issue which I have been tracking as another potential issue with the driver electronics that Dell is using. Though this one is more subtle, I believe it is on all of them as well. But is not as obvious as the banding issues, so is under reported.

Source: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=54714

Its funny how no one/review has yet to point out this fuzzy text issue on the FP202w though, when more than three revisions are affected by this issue.

This includes:

March 2006 Rev BAE
March 2006 Rev A0-110
March 2006 Rev A1-110

May 2006 Rev A1-110

Would love to hear more inputs from fellow FP202W users. Thanks :D

coppice

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I bought two of these monitors a couple fo weeks ago. They were made in July. The text is awful, unless it is quite big.

What do you have the sharpness set to? It seems sharpness should be a thing that only works with an analogue connection. However, it works with DVI input too, and none of the settings produce crisp text. The monitorI looked at in the Benq shop looked OK, but maybe I just wasn't being critical enough. I didn't expect trouble like with with a DVI signal. It should give a simple 1:1 mapping between the video card and the panel.

BenQ-FP202W

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I bought two of these monitors a couple fo weeks ago. They were made in July. The text is awful, unless it is quite big.

What do you have the sharpness set to? It seems sharpness should be a thing that only works with an analogue connection. However, it works with DVI input too, and none of the settings produce crisp text. The monitorI looked at in the Benq shop looked OK, but maybe I just wasn't being critical enough. I didn't expect trouble like with with a DVI signal. It should give a simple 1:1 mapping between the video card and the panel.
Finally, someone who noticed the fuzzy text too! Btw, I've set the Sharpness from the default value of "3" to "1" and it doesn't seem to help.

Anyhow, what's the revision number of your both your monitors? Its funny that someone from WSGF had a June 2006 batch and he said his text is perfect.

coppice

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Never put too much credibility in people saying sound or pictures are perfect. Most people seem to be nearly deaf and nearly blind. The screens are awful. As well as the sharpness problem on text, which is quite severe, the colours are weird. That doesn't bother me much. I seldom look at pictures anyway. I use them for development work.

My monitors are rev A0-111. Their behaviours don't actually match. The 5 sharpness settings look obviously diferent on the two screen. 2 or 3 are the best chocies, but compared to other screens I use they are terrible. Its really tiring to read text at a size which is very clear when I plug in a different display. Basically these things are rubbish. I was going to buy a couple of Viewsonic displays, but these were cheaper - bad choice on my part :-(

BenQ-FP202W

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Never put too much credibility in people saying sound or pictures are perfect. Most people seem to be nearly deaf and nearly blind. The screens are awful. As well as the sharpness problem on text, which is quite severe, the colours are weird. That doesn't bother me much. I seldom look at pictures anyway. I use them for development work.

My monitors are rev A0-111. Their behaviours don't actually match. The 5 sharpness settings look obviously diferent on the two screen. 2 or 3 are the best chocies, but compared to other screens I use they are terrible. Its really tiring to read text at a size which is very clear when I plug in a different display. Basically these things are rubbish. I was going to buy a couple of Viewsonic displays, but these were cheaper - bad choice on my part :-(
Yeah the screen is really awful. Regarding the weird color problem, I particularly notice it with my May 2006 batch. The colors looked way too saturated and it doesn't seem neutral at all. To bluntly put it, it produced something that looked seemingly like water color. I've tried to tweak the color settings but to no avail. The previous March 2006 batch I had seemed to be more neutral, producing more natural colors. This is another issue that I'm really puzzled about too.

White stripe of line, fuzzy text, color problems. Man, I'm seriously overwhelmed by the amount of problems on this monitor.

groingo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Better late than never, but I have had this problem with many LCD's and the solution I came up with was called either Phase or Clock.
This is in the monitor MENU under either name.
For example on my Acer 2051W I pushed the setting to Clock...86 and the text is shadow free and crisp where the default setting was 50 and heavily shadowed.

coppice

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Phase adjustments are only for analogue inputs to the monitor, and they only affect horizonal quality.

These Benq monitors are giving fuzzy text with DVI signals, and they are dirty both horizontally and vertically.

BenQ-FP202W

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Yeah the problem does not lie with the Phase or Clock settings. Ive tried to switch to VGA input and used the AUTO button, as well as manually adjusting the Geometry settings but the shadow is there. I believe there's more to the problem because even DVI input produces that shadow.

G

Just purchased a BENQ G2410HD monitor at Staples 2 weeks ago, and it has had the "white shadow" problem almost all the time since new, no matter what I do.
I love the size, but in light of this ongoing problem without a fix, I'm going back to a Viewsonic, thank you very much.

I don't understand the thinking of the manufacturers, this problem has obviously been going on for a while, but they keep selling the crap. Now there is very little chance of me buying a BENQ for a long time, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

Marketing 101: don't sell junk