Remove anti-glare Coating from Viewsonic A90f+

Frozeninreality

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
ok guys. This is probably going to sound weird at first but please bare with me. I have had this monitor (as mentioned, a Viewsonic A90f+ CRT 19 inch) for many years. Honestly, I love this thing. A few years back, thanks to a very spaced out roommate, my monitor ended up rolling off a chair and onto a cinder block. Fortunately the monitor works, but there are a few gouges in the screen....in the most inconvenient of places. Now...first question is going to be...how thick IS the anti-glare coating on a CRT. The gouges seem to be very shallow, like I can barely snag it with my fingernail. Beneath the scratches seem a brighter, more clear image but Its only a few lines....needless to say its annoying. I really would love to get the scratches out and restore this monitor to its original beauty. So, what I need to know is a.) How likely is it that removing the anti-glare coating would take care of the scratches...and b.) how does one go about removing the coating in a manner that is safe for the glass underneath. Ive looked at alot of places but there are so many "working" solutions I dare not just randomly try one because this is all I have for a monitor. Any and all information would be Very greatly appreciated. And only solutions that are 100% safe and effective would be nice...Id really hate to ruin this thing! Thanks in advance!

siiix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
if its an expensive monitor like sony its relatively easy you just cut the film with a blade and then pill it off it takes anywhere from 20-40 minutes, try to heat it up with a hair dryer it helps a lot

if its pain your screwed, i work on my current dell monitor now for over 10 hours , nothing seem to work good enough, not ever sand paper, poly super stripe gel pain and vanish remover helps a bit but not enough... i might start using power polisher with sand paper but i have a feeling this monitor will end up in the dumbster