Need a monitor suggestion:Needed for Gaming, Blu-ray and must rotate.

mariotheotaku

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I'm in the process of building a new system and I need a monitor suggestion that goes along with with what I want my PC to do. I plan to do some gaming, watch Blu-ray and DVDs and do some Photoshop and Dreamweaver. The features that I'm looking for are:

23-24 in monitor with 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolution.
HDMI input
Must be able to rotate (for viewing code in DW, mail, etc)

Thank you

Solution
Both should be fine for blu-ray - there's a setting in the monitor's menu (at least for the Dell - I'm not positive about the HP) that will maintain the aspect ratio of anything you play on it. If you play an old game that doesn't support widescreen for example, the game won't be stretched, it will just have black bars on the sides (it'll still scale it up to fullscreen as much as possible, it just won't distort it). In addition, any decent blu-ray playback software will add the black bars, and the movie won't be stretched. I play blu-ray on my 16:10 monitor all the time, and it looks excellent.

I would lean towards the Dell personally, but I'm partial to Dell. I've had several Dell LCDs, and all have been well built and have worked...
If you have the budget, Dell U2410. The IPS panel means that it has significantly better color accuracy (good for photoshop), it has both portrait and widescreen modes (the stand swivels), and it is 1920x1200. It is an amazing monitor, and I would highly recommend it (I have the predecessor, the Ultrasharp 2408). The image quality will absolutely blow away anything with a TN panel (like the one that TheViper posted).

mariotheotaku

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Thank you all for the responses, seems to be that the real fight is between the Dell U2410 or the HP LP2475w since they are both ISP (sorry forgot to post budget) I wanted to get 2 monitors but I can settle with one for the time being because of the price. Now my concern is the 16:10 aspect ratio the Dell monitor has (not sure what the ration of the HP one is since I couldn't find it) will it make the blu ray movies seem stretched out or will it be just fine, my gaming consist of mostly WoW so my main concerns are bluray and dvd movies(stretched video?) and Photoshop (as far as color precision)

Here are the specs of both monitors:

Dell: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8277

HP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176104

EDIT: seems the HP monitor has a 16:10 ration as well.

Both should be fine for blu-ray - there's a setting in the monitor's menu (at least for the Dell - I'm not positive about the HP) that will maintain the aspect ratio of anything you play on it. If you play an old game that doesn't support widescreen for example, the game won't be stretched, it will just have black bars on the sides (it'll still scale it up to fullscreen as much as possible, it just won't distort it). In addition, any decent blu-ray playback software will add the black bars, and the movie won't be stretched. I play blu-ray on my 16:10 monitor all the time, and it looks excellent.

I would lean towards the Dell personally, but I'm partial to Dell. I've had several Dell LCDs, and all have been well built and have worked perfectly. I love my 2408 ultrasharp.

Solution