samsung T220HD, T260HD - any thoughts?

mrklaw

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Hi

looking for a hybrid TV/monitor for the spare room. will do approximately 50:50 time as a TV and hooked up to my macbook. Mostly my macbook will be used around the house, only on the monitor for things that need more real estate - photo editing for example.

So, i've been running around in circles wondering whether to get a monitor that can display TV, or a TV that can run as a monitor. Recently looking at 32" 1080p TVs but they are a little too expensive and probably too big.

These new 'crystal rose' samsungs look good though - they do a 22" and 26" with SCART, component, speakers, remote control etc - perfect for when my parents are over and want to use it as a spare telly, and they are 1680x1050/1920x1200 respectively for use as a proper monitor, with DVI for my macbook

anyone tried these yet? T220HD seems available online, T260HD seems not out just yet. Spent some time in PC world and I think 26" is a better size for the TV part, just concerned it might be too big for a monitor - had a 24" imac and that was a little big sometimes when I sat 18" away from it. Could always sit back a little I suppose

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If I have to do it between the two myself I would go for the LCD Monitor, once you go above 24" the resolution go up which would benefit you when photo editing.

As to watching TVs and Movies your max resolution is @ 1920X1080 or depending on your source. All you need is to add cable box.

As for the T220HD and T260HD I haven't tried 'em yet so sI can't comment on that.

boiler90

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I just got an email from amazon and saw the T220HD monitor. I'm going off to college in a week and I think it might be a worthy investment (especially in my situation). I think that the monitors perform just as well as the TVs, and have all the same features, but the monitors are like $100-300 cheaper? This one looks cool because it has all the possible inputs, so I can hook it up to my macbook and cable and a video game console (yay HDMI-and it's got 1080p). The touch of color 22" TV (not monitor) is mininmum $500 and it's basically the same thing. I'd go for the monitor.

hnml24

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I may find only one con on T260HD monitor.
it has some input lag due to the HD tuner that is build in .

go and see that monitor for yourself see if you can feel it .
if you do then dont buy this.
if you wont feel it then.. enjoy my friend :)

Yours.
Noam

yfyfyf

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
hello fellas, i've been looking into getting the t260hd as well, if you are interested they are available at amazon.com for a bargin price!!! around $500 last time i checked.........shame i live in uk and can't that price.....

@hnml24
what do you mean exactly by input lag??? do you mean the frame rate??? i traveled 30 miles to the nearest showroom which had this model in stock and they were only able to show me crappy picture which did the monitor much unjustice, and i didn't get to see it properly.....

do the lag occurs when used as a monitor??? and do you notice it too when using HDMI with other stuff like xbox or bluray players??

regards
yf

hnml24

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
yf..
I still dont own one of this monitors I'm waiting for the A01 to arrive (next week) .
the input lag is not the frame rate or resoponse time.
its the time that takes the buffer on the monitor to full and then show the pic..
on LCD you always get the pic later than on CRT monitor.
you get the picture later due to input lag..
the time that the buffer loads up and then shows the pic)

I hope I helped you..
Noam

shirubio

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Hello,

this is my first post in this forum but I was researching the T260HD for a while and just got one yesterday (09/14) at Sam's Club. They have a great deal at $499.00.

I did not test the internal speakers. They are too small to be good anyway.

I tested on a few video sources with variable results:

1) DishNetwork HD DVR - HDMI1 Input: I used a 1080i recording of Wall Street for my testings. Great picture and no issues with ghost images or noticeable pixelation of the image. Vibrant enough colors and the black could be a little better but it was good enough for the price of the monitor.

2) BluRay DVD (also Samsung) on HDMI1: Used a BR DVD of Wall Street (same movie so I can compare Apples to Apples). Same image quality and better colors. The black was deeper this time. Very nice overall image.

3) PC running Windows Vista - GForce 8500 - DVI Input: Fantastic image. Very nice colors and great contrast on regular documents and internet browsing. This monitor is solid rock for everyday computer activities.

4) Same PC running Ubuntu - GForce 8500 - DVI Input: Very same result as Vista.

5) Same PC running Civ IV: I'm not a PC gamer bit I like Civ 4 so that was my test case. The image was as good as before. Nice rendering of colors. Again the black could be better. There was no noticeable delay on images on 1280x1024. I did not try larger resolutions. Very nice experience again.

6) MacBook Pro (mid 2007 edition) DVI: Now for the not so great news. For some reason the colors are very weak on this setup. The Mac recognized the monitor immediately but the images are not even close to what I got on the PC. The colors are much more "pale" (I don't have other way to describe). My Mac has a GeForce 8600M GT 256Mb. It is almost as if it was another monitor.
But I bought this monitor for the PC Desktop so I'm extremely happy with it so far, but if you are thinking about using it as a second monitor for a MacBook Pro then I would not recommend the T260HD.

Disclaimer: I did not try any major adjustments on the monitor yet so the results may change on the Mac after I do some fine tuning.

G

The reason the Mac is 'paler' is because Macs use a different color temperature and Gamma than PCs Things always look darker on PCs than Macs.
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/gamma_mac_pc.html
http://graphics.stanford.edu/gamma.html
http://creativebits.org/2004/07/windows-vs-mac-monitor-gamma.html

w3wizard

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I just got a T260HD, and my Gateway FPD218W beats it in color. I could not be more disappointed in the color (at least with the DVI input). I've got it hooked up to a windows XP machine with a 8800 GTX. I tried adjusting the colors but it only lets you adjust via their pre-adjusted settings. I went with "cool" which improved the colors a bit but the reds and yellows were also off. The grays never came out right even with the setting placed at cool. I've been looking for a fix because I've read other reviews saying the colors look just fine but with different cards.

In my opinion, if you are looking for a good monitor, this isn't it (at least as far as colors go).

G

Dear shirubio,
I have your same monitor, T260HD. Unfortunatly I was not able to reach a resolution of 1920x1200 by using a DVI cable. With this kind of cable I was only able to have 1280x1024 or 1920x1080. My video card is a GForce FX 5700 Ultra.
From your post I understand that you was able to obtain 1920x1200 with a DVI cable. Is it correct ?
Can you help me in solving my problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Moneyguy1

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I purchased a T260HD from Tiger Direct a few weeks ago (November '09). When attached to a 5.1 amplifier by itself, it works (relatively) well. However, it will not permit any other device (DVD, VCR) to be attached to the 5.1 system. There is a 60 cycle hum that swapping out the other components will not eliminate. The sound does not go through the Samsung (how can it? far too few available inputs and outputs!! Notice there are no s-video ports?) but directly from the cable box to the Teac surround sound unit. Every other unit has its own input to the Teac, so there is no direct audio connection between the Samsung and the other components. I swapped out the Teac for a Sony 5.1 with the same result. I swapped out the VCR and the DVD unit; same result. I replaced every cable with the hum still there. However; disconnect the DVD and VCR, leave the Samsung connected to the Teac and the hum went away. I suspect a "ground loop" somewhere in the Samsung design. Heck...I even replaced the Samsung with a Sharp receiver and in that case, with all components attached, there was no hum. A replacement unit did not resolve the problem. So, either I am overlooking something very obvious or there is indeed a design flaw in this unit. I only wish I had found this forum prior to wasting my money. Without being able to use a player with the Samsung, it certainly limits its usefulness. Any suggestions? Ideas?

Frodo4934@AOL.com
Bob S.