Do I need Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steele_22

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Will Intel® Rapid Storage Technology benefit me? I have a Crucial M4 64GB SSD boot drive and a 500GB Seagate Platter drive. Do I need to install Intel® Rapid Storage Technology or not?

Jambe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
3/14/2012

I installed the RST on a Gigabyte 1155 M/B with Intel 2500K CPU and noticed an immediate decrease in boot time.
The 'balls' on the Starting Windows screen disappeared while all four were lined up--before they even rotate and collide. Before installation they were disappearing after colliding. YMMV. (128 GB M4).

RealBeast

Titan

You do not "need" to use RST, and on most machines I don't.

Jambe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Realbeast is correct. You don't need to use it but it does speed things up slightly.

Smirnoff103

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hello

Sorry for bumping this old topic but I had a problem with my RAID disks.
One of the RAID HDs had an "error occured" and the RAID configuration was thus degraded, even if Windows said everything was working correclty
startup.jpg

windows.jpg

I contacted the seller of the PC and they gave me a new HD (Seagate). They didn't have the same model anymore but gave me another one which (they told) should work with the existing RAID disk (Samsung).

Yesterday I put that new HD in my PC, start the computer up, went to the RAID configuration screen and the new HD was detected, and it asked me if I wanted to use that new disk as RAID member, which I did.
The RAID configuration then changed from "Degraded" to "Rebuild" with the message at the bottom of the screen "Volume with "Rebuild" status will be rebuilt within the operation system". So I was thinking that when I was in Windows the RAID utility software would be copying the data on that new HD "under the hood" and that everything will be done automatically.
rebuild.jpg

I left the computer on for about 4 hours I think (the amount on data on the disk is about 450 GB) and restart it, in hope that the "rebuild" would be replaced with a "normal" but trouble started from there.

During the reboot, it took VERY long time for detecting my HDs, the OCZ Vertex and the Samsung were detected but the new Seagate wasn't. I checked the RAID configuration screen and it wasn't in the list anymore (and so status was again "degraded"). I let windows boot but the "4 glowing rectangles"-screen keeps forever (I left the computer on for the whole night and in the morning it was still the windows loading screen).

I restart it, the 3rd HD was now detected, but status was still "rebuild", windows started normally this time. I reboot a few times afterwards and sometimes the HD is detected and sometimes not.
So I start searching for drivers on the Intel website, took one of these and then that Seagate HD was installed on windows (without reboot) as a separated HD.
After a reboot, that same Seagate HD had an "error occurred" according to the RAID configuration, so I reset that Seagate disk (I have everything backup on an external disk), set it again as Member disk
detected_HD.jpg

and got again the message "Volume with "Rebuild" status will be rebuilt within the operation system", so I'm again at the start point :p

My questions are now:
- Is that Seagate HD really compatible with the Samsung one ?
- How can that "rebuild" be done in Windows ? I have nothing from RAID software in Windows, only that RAID configuration screen on the computer startup before Windows is loaded. I think I should do something like this, but can't because I have nothing from "Intel" in my programs list

I have this Gigabyte motherboard

Sorry for the long message but I hope somebody can help me, the computer store is off for the X-mas holidays :(

Lissajous

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

I had a failed disk in a 4-disk RAID and got the same message about it being rebuilt inside Windows. I have Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed and when Windows booted I noticed the IRST icon in the system tray reported the progress on the rebuild. It did take many hours (RAID 10 on four 1TB drives) and I ended up leaving it overnight. In the morning all was fine. Not sure if the rebuild function is actually performed by IRST or Windows (with IRST just reporting progress) but I was a happy camper. Perhaps you rebooted too soon and got things screwed up.

skumdogj

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
With Intel RST drivers installed on my system my MoBo Z270 Maximus IX Hero won't restart into windows. It just boots into UEFI. It can't even see my HDD, if I uninstall those Intel drivers it will find the drive every time. So I am not going to use Intel drivers until they are fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.