LCD Monitor - Gaming

mauiwh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hi:

I am new here and I need your help. I want to buy a monitor for gaming 22" to 24". What is the best all around monitor to buy right now? What features should I be looking for? I heard about monitors that don't tilt or adjust up, and other problems. What should I be buying for the future 1080P?, 2MS?. Thanks for your help!

MAUIWH :D

I can't tell which monitor is the best for gaming, but I can give you some info to help point you in the right direction.

Most gamers prefer TN panel monitors because they are inexpensive and have the fastest "listed response times" which most gamers look at to reduce chances of seeing ghosting effects. TN panel technology does have it drawbacks like poor color accuracy compared to other panel techs, not a big deal for the average consumer, but it is a big deal for a professional graphic artist or photographer. There's also viewing angles issues which can cause colors to shift just by moving your head. And some more stuff that I won't bore you with.

First and foremost you should have a video card capable of giving you the performance you want for a particular resolution. If you have a mainstream GPU and you want most to all of the eye candy then get a 22" 1680 x 1050 monitor. If you can live with a little less and eye candy or if you have a powerful GPU then go for a 24" monitor.

How much are you willing to spend? 24" monitors tend to cost a little more especially if you want something that comes with better panel technology such as S-PVA which starts at $550. S-PVA, P-MVA and IPS panels give better color accuracy and less color shifting (especially the IPS), but you pay for it and the fastest response time is "only" 6ms. I prefer these types of monitors.

Generally speaking, the amount of ghosting is different for each monitor even if you are comparing various monitors with 2ms response times. And it also depends on how your brain processes images your eyes transmits to it. My NEC 2690WUXi has 6ms response time and I generally do not notice any ghosting except when a very dark object is move against a very bright background. Even 2ms monitors will display ghosting in this "worst possible situation".

There are now 22" and 24" which has a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Things might look a bit tiny on a 22" LCD monitor at this resolution. While new games will most likely support this resolution, older games may not and you will probably get some distortion if you tried to play full screen. There are 11.11% fewer pixels compared to 1920 x 1200 resolution so you can probably get a 5% - 7% increase in FPS performance.

Many of the cheaper monitors only allows you to tilt the monitor screen. I personally prefer a monitor with height, tilt and swivel adjustments. Most monitor do not have this combination of adjustments since they add to the cost. Most people simply but their monitors on top of books. There is an alternative, but it will cost money.

If you see a monitor that you like, but it doesn't have the adjustments you want and you don't have the money to buy a monitor with height adjustment and etc, then look for a monitor with VESA mount capability. You can buy a monitor stand ($50 - $125 depending if it is basic or beautiful) which has these features so you can simply attach the LCD monitor to the stand.