Best 24" and Higher Monitor

Allanag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Hi All,

I am going to be building a new computer very soon. I am planning on buying at least a 24" monitor to go along with it and will use it primarily to play games(RPG and FPS) and watch movies. I am willing to spend a little more, if necessary, to purchase a good quality, Non-TN, monitor.

Some models I have been considering are:

1. Gateway FPD2485W 24" Widescreen High-Definition LCD Flat-Panel Display

2. Dell UltraSharp 2707WFP 27-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD

3. LG L246WP-BN

Are these good? Or do you have recommendations for any others?

Thank you

Allan

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Put the 26" Planar PX2611W on your list. I like it for games because it's slightly larger than 24" (so it feels huge) and has a 1920x1200 native res (so it won't slow your video card down like a 30"). It's an IPS panel so it has great colors, but it's not so great in very dark conditions (blacks are more like very dark grays). Also it has the lowest lag of any 24" and above panel I've seen.

I've heard the LG panel is good but has a bad OSD.

I got the NEC LCD2690WUXi which is similar to the Planar PX2611W, but it has more built-in electronics to control color accuracy and color tone. I use the same H-IPS panel made by LG/Philips who seems to be the only company producing IPS panels.

If you plan on hooking up a gaming console to play games at 1080i, then consider the NEC I just mentioned because many user reviews have mentioned that there are banding issues with the Planar PX2611W.

No, I don't play console games.

Balti

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
You've most likely bought the monitor by now but jus in case you havent:

I would agree with the suggestion of an NEC monitor. They have excellent quality but horrendous prices - we are talking 600+ quid - its debatable whether they are worth that much.

I would say that the best 24" monitor is still generally regarded to be the BenQ 24" FP241W - although its been around since 2006.

An alternative would be Dell's UltraSharp 2408WFP. However, just a word of warning, although it has scored rave reviews, users dont seem to rate it very highly and there are several known issues with the first version.

If you wanted a faster response time, an alternative might be the Acer G24 - but this uses older (admittedly much improved) TN technology, rather than IPS or PVA. Its claims to a whopping 50K :1 constrast ratio depend on its dynamic contrast ratio technology and are generally taken with a shovel of salt. That said, it is still a nice monitor with a good quality image which is v smooth.

The other 2 downsides to the G24 is the price (£320 for a TN panel is pricey) and the fact that the surface of the monitor is shiny (well thats a downside in my view anyway) meaning that you will see yourself staring back in dark conditions and catch snlight etc...

In my view, unless you want to spend silly dollars on a monitor, You're probably best off with the BenQ - at least until the Dell sorts out its teething problems.

Teething problems?

I'm using a Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP A01 revision right now, and I would say that it is an absolutely stunning monitor, and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone.