30" for graphic design pro, and gamer

Ghost9

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Hey all,
I've been trying to do a lot of research on 30" monitors but I'm having a hard time finding comparison info. I would love some info or a point in the right direction. I know that S-IPS panels are the best panels for accurate color, and seeing that I am a graphic designer by trade, that is extremely important to me. But I am also a gamer, so I want to find one that has no or minimal ghosting. I've read that scalers have a lot to do with this, so I don't know if it's better to buy a monitor that has a scaler, or without one. Can you turn scalers off? I know all 30inchers aren't as fast as smaller monitors, and if I was buying for gaming only I'd probably stick with a smaller monitor, but I want the large desktop space for my design work.

I am aware of the hardware requirements for such large resolutions and I got that covered. What I can't seem to find out about is a way to compare all of the 30"ers out now. I was originally looking at the HP LP3065, or the Dell 3007WFP. But then I saw even more monitors have come out like the Dell 3008, samsung 305t, and a gateway one that cnet gives a good review to. All the newer monitors seems to come with quite the heftier price tag though. Are the newer monitors worth the extra coin? is there that much of a performance increase? I know the dells use the S-IPS boards, but I not sure about the others. I think the HP one does as well. Is there anything wrong with buying the cheaper, slightly older models?

Anyone have any good info on this?

thanks for any help you can give.

The Dell 3007 is a good choice if you don't want the money, but the 3008 does have a significant improvement in response time, as well as color gamut. Both would be an excellent choice. I've never seen any of the other monitors, but I've used the Dells, and they are great monitors.