Which 30" monitor should I get? Please Help!!!

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Hi, So I'm building a new gaming rig and have decided to get a 30 inch monitor to take advantage of 3 GTX 280s. I've narrowed it down to 4, but am clueless as to which to choose:

Samsung 305T: this is the one I like the most, because it has 6ms, the highest of any 30 inch monitor I've seen online, and is cheaper than any of the 4 (found it for $1150). But, I don't see many people use or recommend it...

Samsung 305T+: This one confuses me... it's a more expensive version of the 305T, but I have absolutely no idea what extra features it has. But someone said it is better... but I dunno.

Dell 3007WFP: The general consensus for 30" monitors so far. Everyone says this is best and everyone uses this. But I don't get it, because this is hundreds more expensive than the samsung one, and it has 12ms... which just sucks. So why is it so loved?

Dell 3008WFP: It's the priciest of the bunch at $2k, and looks to me like a 3007wfp but with 8ms instead of 12ms... but for $850 more than a samsung, and like $600+ more than a 3007, whats the point?

So yea, I'm still pulling for the samsung, but I'm not so sure. Anyone care to share which they think is best and why?

Thanks.

stove

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Wait for the new 30's to come out. The current ones are old. Give me one of your 280's, you only need 2.

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

That was so helpful and informative, like every god damn post on every god damn thread I've ever made. Go get a **** job and buy yourself a gtx 280.

C WUT I DID THAR?1!?1?!!?11?! I IZ CAN TROLL 2!1!

The Dells use IPS LCD panels which are more expensive to manufacture than the S-PVA panels used in the Samsungs.

IPS generally offers better color reproduction and less color washout at extreme angles than all other panel techs. Text also tends to be sharper. And are preferred by graphics professionals.

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

And would that panel be worth losing 6 ms and an extra $100-200 in your opinion? Also I have 2 questions:

1) On the official samsung site, the picture of the 305T shows 27.1" wide... but then right under it it says the viewable screen size is 30"... as does newegg and tigerdirect... so which is it?

2) What is the 305T + model? I dont see a difference between the T and the T+

Thanks

If you are satisfied about what you read regarding the Samsung 305T then just buy it.

The Dell 3007WFP's response time is 12ms from what I remember, however I think Dell now lists it as 8ms. That might be due to Response Time Acceleration which is common on nearly all 20" and larger LCD monitor. Every 24" LCD and about will have it. Therefore, the 12ms response time might be with RTA turned off.

IPS is great if your primary concern is accurate color reproduction and sharp text. But it seems your primary concern is gaming. Therefore a S-PVA panel LCD like the Samsung should be good enough.

Since we are definitely in an economic down turn and the world financial markets (the DOW is below 10,000 and some financial experts thinks it may sink down to 8,000 a level not seen since 2002; American investment and retirement accounts lost over $1 trillion within a span of 1 week) are in turmoil, it might be wise to save that $100 - $200 for a rainy day.

Your questions:

1) 27.1" means the horizontal measurement. Monitors viewable size is measured diagonally.

2) Don't know. Never really researched 30" LCD. Not a hardcore game and not willing to buy two or three high end video cards.

stove

Distinguished
May 24, 2008

You see a trend? You bought 3 GTX 280's, and are talking about a 305T. I find it amusing you blow cash on those cards and aren't willing to blow more cash on a monitor worthy of the "quality" you are going for......

maybe you should get a job to buy a better monitor since you must have spent all in your piggy bank pushing you towards the 305T....

c whut I did thar? pfft. If I was trolling, I wouldn't have told you to wait on the 30" monitors currently available..... research and read many different forums young buck. If you did you would see soo many people unhappy with all the monitors in which you have showed interest.

Word to the wise, just because a lot of people think what you purchase makes you a foolhardy consumer, do not be soo quick to judge sound advice with a hint of humor.

(last but not least.... I bought 2xGTX280, however I cancelled the order after getting sound advice from others on this very forum....) and I wasn't a dick about it.......

TieT

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

I have a gtx280 and im loving it.
Like you will know you cant compare systems, even if its the same hardware from the same factory it will be still be different.
Im not suggesting that i dont like some good advice, but im not going to follow someone.

And if this kid wants to buy 3 GTX cards , so hey who cares...
If your thinking of a 30" , why not buy a 42" plasma or led tv ? :D

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

I spend $1500 on 3 GTX 280s for PERFORMANCE. Why should I spend another few hundred on the dell to LOSE MS and contrast? I have money to spend, but that doesent mean I'm wasting it.

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

Because my LCD TV is for consoles, I don't want to use a PC with it, I want a monitor.

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

Right, plus I have absolutely no idea how you can even get kills in an fps like COD4 with a mouse on my huge LCD... I'll stick to monitors.

Think I'll go for the 305t... unless someone knows what the 305t plus is for? Dont see extra features..

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

You joined tomshardware in 1970?

Am I the only one that is saying WTF?

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

Whoa, thats weird. Well, guess that also explains what I found on the gamespot forums.

There was some generic "I need help getting girls" thread, and this one guy said he only had a few years left in him so it wasn't worth it. I checked his profile, and it said he was 105, and attending college. So I'm like holy crap, and I ask him how he's doing at that age. Then he immediately flames the heck out of me saying I'm retarded and he's only 20...

I'm guessing same thing happened there... but I dont see why they would make the join date at a time when the internetz when a personal computer was only something bill gates and the military had.

Actually, the Dell will have better color, better black level (meaning better contrast), and better viewing angles, as well as less gamma shift and better overall color accuracy. Whether this really matters to you is another story, but it will definitely give about the best image quality of the bunch. As for response time, it is a bit slower, but I would be quite surprised if it were at all noticeable. 8ms is hardly slow. Note that this all applies to the 3008 - the 3007, while great, is getting old, and will not quite match the 3008 for overall quality. However, it too will have the benefits of an S-IPS for image quality, and will still likely beat the Samsung overall in appearance and accuracy. Basically, the specs don't tell you everything.

Is the Samsung a good monitor? Heck yes. Will you be happy with it? Absolutely. However, the Dell S-IPS panels will give a slightly better overall quality.

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

For another 8 big ones, slighty better quality isnt really even a question. Also, at 2560x1600, 12ms on the 3007 is hideous... I dont know why everyone loves it. Major ghosting right there.

Have you ever actually seen a GOOD 12ms monitor? I've played a game on a 3007 - there is no ghosting at all. Keep in mind that 12ms is under one frame at the 60hz refresh rate of the monitor (each frame takes 16.7ms)

0mg_1ts_m3

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
you do realize that gtx 280s are notorious for actually performing worse with more than one in a pc than just one of them? you've basically waster 3x the cash for less performance.

xxshadowxx

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
I don´t get it.. Do some research before buying a monitor like that.

Just search for some reviews of every monitor and compare them.

I did the same thing.. I own a 3008 WFP now.