Help in looking for a really good 24" LCD monitor.

Winly

Distinguished
Hello folks. Hows everyhting? well, Im planning on buying a new monitor in about 3 months. i want a 24" LCD monitor "HD". im going to use it for games, watch movies and once in a while to use it with my PS3 using a HDMI cable for a 1080p resolution if the monitor support it. right now i have my eyes at the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP. just wanted to know what other suggestions you folks have? also i want something really good "nice colors, contrast etc." My limit is 500-600 dollars.

PS: i have an EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS SuperClocked and i want to know if the video card will support the monitor you will recommend me.

Here are Dell 2408WFP reviews from reputable sites:

From www.behardware.com (Note: The Iolair MB24W tthat the Dell is being compared is only available in Europe.)
http://www.behardware.com/articles/712-1/lcd-david-vs-goliath-iolair-vs-dell.html

No, results are indeed correct and we have two screens with diametrically opposed behaviors. On the one side is the Dell with an average delay of 4.1 images, and on the other, the Iolair with zero input lag – even having the luxury of occasionally being slightly ahead of the CRT.

As you can see on the Dell, the worst is that the delay varies from 60 (3.6 images) to 89 ms (5.3 images) once we discard the two extremes values. If we include the minimum, nothing changes. On the other hand, if we add the maximum, the 2408WFP is 10 images behind!
The Dell 2408WFP : not good! Except for office use, its look, ergonomics, finishing touches and materials. In short, it’s (still) as superb but totally failed our gaming tests.

From http://www.tftcentral.co.uk = Much more indepth (longer too) and more technical
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_2408wfp.htm

Input lag is perhaps the screen's only major weakness, and with an average of 64.1ms, you will want to consider whether this is the correct screen for you if you're a regular gamer. If not, this won't represent an issue, and the 2408WFP is still an excellent choice offering great all round performance and features.

Non Professional User Review:

Dell 2408WFP review from a Layman`s Point of View

Input Lag (heard a lot about it other`s review) was just unnoticeable. Played CALL of DUTY 4 and Counter Strike Source both online to be sure about it. Head shots were right on, everything happened right when I clicked/expected. The 6ms does not look slow in comparison to my earlier Dell SP2208WFP with 2ms Response time. Viewing angles are just excellent.

Looks great from each corner of my room as compared to my earlier TN panel which resulted in utter harassment of myself and a real good pain in my neck while watching movies, tilting my head again n again just to compromise with the bad viewing angles of a TN panel. Hence once I again I would say that DELL 2408WFP is excellent here.

No backlight bleeding was observed by me at least in the display I received.

Seems like a professional review with some technical information and indepth tests also has links to silent test videos :

http://monitortest.blogspot.com/

In the visual side by side comparison with CRT in the game (unfortunately this piece of video is missing) the difference is noticeable. It’s really noticeable when moving the picture back and forth. The Dell 2408 reacts after a visible delay. It’s definitely short but definitely visible.
This delay has no effect on the mouse movement in everyday use.
It’s means nothing at all for movie playback.

As far as I can say, there is no special ghosting problem to mention for the Dell 2408.
Taking in consideration technologies and features currently in demand, remembering that we get what we pay for, by far, I would recommend the Dell 2408 as a choice #1 within this price&quality level.

Before shipping charges and taxes the Dell 2408WFP does fall at the top of your budget. If you are serious about buying it then do so before the $80 discount disappears.

The 8600GTS is considered pretty weak to play current games at 1920 x 1200 if you want to maintain a minimum of 30 frames per second.

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
That monitor has a very good reputation. That graphics card does not. It's not going to play many modern games well at that resolution. Check out Tom's video card charts at that resolution.

Winly

Distinguished
i know the video card sucks, but for now that's the only thing i can have because my power supply only have 400 watts. also im planning on building a new computer later on. in fact, im not going to spend more money in this machine. all in all, i will mostly use this monitor to watch movies and play games with my PS3.

hnml24

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
winly ,
hi how are you ?

I'm looking for a 24 inch lcd monitor either.
I read a lot of good and bad opinions about the dell 2408WFP ,
Its sounds tempting (the color and the design and the panel etc')
but .. is it really that good ?
what are you going to do with this lcd?
u like to play first person shooters? multi-player games? watching movies?

I am as lost as you in that issue.

thanks for the answer,
Noam