22" glossy OR 24" Matte -- What is best for gaming

I am considereing a new item in the collection of LCD's that I have. This is the deal, I currently have 6- 24" SOYO 8bit panels. (The kind sold at Officemax for $279 OTD this week. I need them for the investment business I am in. I am also a gamer. There is no problem on gaming with these as I have NOT seen any tearing or lagging/ghosting etc. I am just wondering about the matte VS gloss finish. It is not an either or question as far as finances just what is the gaming experience on a glossy monitor. Thje room is dark as the monitors provide all the light I need when on and when gaming I will not be trading/working. In the store the glossy monitors appear crisper and sharper than the matte. I do RTS (C&C) and tactical shooters(Rainbow 6, Crysis, etc.) What would be the pros and cons in using a 22" glossy 1680*1050 or just sticking with the 24" matte 1920*1200.

Why not a 24" glossy you may ask. I am also looking at the framerate on the 22" with some upcoming games(and CRYSIS) and it might give me the ability to have a better gaming experience with 30% less pixels to push. One of the unit6s I was looking at was the HP w2207. SInce the 22" panels all seem to be 6bit it comes down to bang for the buck and these are available for $250-300 this week( the w2207h 'HDMI' are here).

Thanks for your thoughts
1 answer Last reply
More about glossy matte gaming
  1. It's matter of personal preference. Glossy screens will have deeper colors and better contrast, but you can get high saturation matte screens these days.

Matte screens are better in a variety of conditions so it's hard to go wrong, a glossy screen generally looks better in really dark and really bright lighting (direct sunlight) conditions, a matte screen looks better at "normal" lighting conditions.

I tend to buy matte screens because most of the best monitor tech (IPS and MA) comes on a matte screen. Glossy screens tend to be TN, which I despise (maybe irrationally?).

I'd say between a cheap glossy and a cheap matte, go for the glossy, but if you're looking at a high quality monitor it'll be matte.
Ask a new question

Read More

Flat Panel Monitors Gaming Monitors Peripherals