Displaying at lower than native resolution...

frsrblch

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I bought an LG Flatron L226WTX-BN 22in Widescreen LCD a couple days ago, and although it's a great monitor, it's just too big for my 8800GTS 320MB. Running at 1680x1050 is simply too much for the poor thing when gaming. Now, my monitor displays lower resolutions by stretching the smaller resolution to fit the screen, but is there any way for me to have it output the lower resolution by using a smaller part of the display? You'd think it would be the default setting for displaying lower resolutions, but that would not appear to be so.

I still have a day before I can no longer return this monitor for a smaller one, but as it stands, I can't keep this one (even though I *really* like the rest of it).

frsrblch

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Now, if this were the Graphic Card or CPU sections, I would have had a dozen fanboys jumping all over this to tell me what was wrong and how to fix it...

I managed to fix it myself... it was just a matter of nVidia having terrible drivers. Who knew?

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
At least let the readers know what you ended up doing. I am still attempting to figure out this wide-screen thing and am currently depating on a 22" Viewsonic. Thanks.

And you should post this message in the video card section... an 8800GTS should be able to handle it, as far as I remember from some research I did last fall. I have a 1900XT and I am just assuming it can handle 22" widescreen at native resolution.

frsrblch

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I see your thread, so sure, I can tell you how I fixed it.

I had thought it was a monitor issue at the time, then I figured it was a driver issue, and from there I was able to get it fixed with some Googling. For starters, I believe you may need to have a DVI cable running between your monitor and GPU. Then you'll need to download an nVidia utility to un-ah heck their drivers. Inside the zipped folder, run the one titled DisableOverscan, and reboot.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=883eecd6f104ef41bc2e86c964d53f76 &act=Attach&type=post&id=4372

The issue was that the nVidia CP wasn't saving the Change Flat Panel Scaling settings, and this will toggle something so that it does. Fixed things right good for me...

frsrblch

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Thanks for the heads up! Quite the little debate going in there...

But while I have the option of eVGA's Step Up thingy, I really don't have the cash to spend on it now. Besides, looking at TH's VGA charts, the 640 MB version barely offers any improvement at all, even at higher resolutions than mine.

Oh, and to anyone looking at the fix, I had it backwards with regards to which overscan utility to run. Just run them until one of them does what you want...