£100 storage solution

deathrune

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hello, I am sick of having limits to the amount of storage I have, so I want to upgrade.

Looking at the prices on amazon, everything seams to have gone down in hard drives.

But there is also ssd's which look very nice.

I have seen the seagate 3tb which has had good reviews, but I'm not sure if ill use a 3tb drive? and also how long will it last and break down untill?

I could get a 1tb drive for about £70-80 or the 3tb for £120. Though this is currently on sale.

I'm guessing its worth getting the 3tb for only £40 more.

OR

Should I raid two 500gb drives for extra speed, I wouldnt mind sacrificing 2tb for faster speeds, if it is notacable in game loading times.

Or should I get a 120gb ssd for ~£90 and use it with my current storage which is... 80gb

I understand this is a mouthful but very much apreciations for reading :)

Edit forgot specs

Motherboard Crosshair 5
CPU: AMD FX 8150
GPU: AMD RADEON 6970
RAM: Corsair Vengance 8GB

Most common solution is to buy an SSD that is large enough for your OS and applications, do a complete re-install on that SSD, and use an HDD for data storage. Note that this only applies to Windows 7; SSDs on older versions of Windows suffer from creeping performance degradation due to the lack of the TRIM command.

Normally, I'd say get the SSD, install to it, and use your old HDD for storage. But 80 GB is kind of small, and I suspect that it's an old drive and speed would be improved by getting a new one. Since you removed your price limit...