NEC'S LCD2690WUXi: What do you think?

Traveller

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
The NEC LCD2690WUXi was reviewed by BEHardware back in January, so it's hardly new, but a recent review by PRAD (sorry, it's the German ver.) has rekindled my interest in this wide-gamut monitor!

I thought about waiting on LED technology to get a little cheaper as Samsung's XL20 is still pretty steep in the EU (~ €1,500.-) and after having read PRAD's article, I'm pretty certain the 92% would be more than enough for anyone who is not doing proofs on a professional basis.

Although the monitor's clearly designed for color accuracy and wide-angle viewing, I still would prefer to be able to use it for the occasional DVD playback and also for gaming. PRAD says it's fast enough, BEHardware called it a dog (figuratively speaking...) and at least one casual reviewer seemed to be pleased with it's response times. Finaly, the LG-Philip panel's specs (LM260WU1) look pretty good (on paper, at least)

Last but not least, it's going for €1,200.- in my 'hood and has a few pixels more than the 20" XL20... . I don't suppose anyone around here happens to be using one...?

P.S. It's unfrotuantely not a ready-for-prime-time monitor and does not support HDCP, nor those it have hdmi or composite input options, no USB hub, no... but we are talking professional graphics here...

RichPLS

Champion
just curious, have you checked out Dells 27" LCD???

It gets excellent reviews, and is pretty economical... I have the 24" model, and it is outstanding for games. video and CAD design... which is what I use it for.

Traveller

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
have you checked out Dells 27" LCD?
Actually, no but I just did a quick check and the only vendor that sells Dell here is Dell and they want over €1,550.- for the 2707WFP - a little too rich for my blood. A shame, 'cause it certainly is a nice monitor and was favorably reviewed. The 24" is more in line with a price tag of about €800,- and although a well-reviewed monitor, it lacks it's 27" sibling's wide-gamut lamps... .

have Have you considered the Planar PX2611W?
I'm afraid they don't sell that brand here and to be honest, I prefer dealing with a "local" vendor when possible. Not to mention, the cost of "importing" it from the U.S. is prohibitive when you factor in shipping, our customs fees (approx. 10-16%) and European VAT (20%).

Last but not least, I have to say that I'm quite impressed with NEC's ColorComp Function which manages to drastically improve the panel's homogeneity. You don't need to be able to read German, just look at the before and after measurements to understand the difference this function makes! They measured a variance of 13% and 1.3% before and after, respectively. Pretty nice "extra", I'd say :D