Help me with the settings on my new HP W22 Monitor?

hooterville

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Got the HP W22 widescreen Monitor with a new HP computer and the Factory settings seem a little washed out on the monitor.

The brightness was way up on 90% and I turned that down a little.

The settings in the "Color" area are:

6500K (Factory Setting)
Custom Color
sRGB

Now I've played around with the settings and the monitor looks the very best when set on sRGB.

What is sRGB and will it hurt the monitor to leave it set on this all the time?

Any settings tips for this monitor?

Thanks.. :eek:

MonitorMan

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
6500K should be the default and is actually required by Microsoft these days to get Vista certification.
6500K tends to have more red, 9300K more blue and sRGB is like 6500K with lower brightness settings.
Custom Color is the native color temp of the panel and should look best. Depending on panel, it may be the same as 6500K as is the goal of the panel mfr's..
Having said all that, each to his own as not everyone's eyes are created equal. What I would do is this:
1) Make sure you're at the native 1680x1050 60Hz resolution.
2) Run Adjustment Pattern.exe utility that came on CD and select 'Factory Reset'. This will perform Auto Adjust function at same time to optimize clock and phase settings.
3) Select Custom Color.
4) Locate 32-bar grayscale pattern and then adjust Contrast so that you can distinguish between all bars.
If you can't find grayscale pattern, then download HP LCD First Aid utility, it has one in there somewhere. Do a search at HP.com website for it.
5) Next thing to do is to adjust the white point to your preference and it may be a good idea just to leave up the grayscale pattern.
If the white and light grays look too red, then open Custom Color OSD and tweak down red a few points, same with blue. I tend to prefer a little more blue myself because it softens the grays, but not too much. Too much green dulls your white point and makes your blacks look more gray. This gives a washed out look as well. You can verify your adjustment by just opening your browser window.
Enjoy you big monitor.

rab05

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Is your w22 out of the return policy from the store you purchased it from?

If not, take it back. Trade it in for HP's new w2207. Much better contrast ratio and brightness along with an adjustable base and HDCP support with a 2ms response time.

I never was too impressed with the w22, but the w2207 out now really looks sharp.

hooterville

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Is your w22 out of the return policy from the store you purchased it from?

If not, take it back. Trade it in for HP's new w2207. Much better contrast ratio and brightness along with an adjustable base and HDCP support with a 2ms response time.

I never was too impressed with the w22, but the w2207 out now really looks sharp.

Yea, I've had it over the 30 days or I would exchange it.

It looks great set on the sRGB setting but I'm not sure if it's OK to leave it on this setting all the time?

hooterville

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Anyone else with any ideas ?

Most of the settings have the colors washed out looking.

sRGB seems like the best setting for this monitor but I'm not sure about leaving it on this setting all the time.

MonitorMan

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Sorry for the delayed response.
Leaving it in sRGB is not a problem. It's one of three pre-set modes for you to use. If you'd like to change the colors on your own then you can go to Custom Color and adjust Red Green Blue gains individually. Then you can go back and re-adjust Brightness and Contrast to your liking. Remember Brightness controls your backlights. Think of it as controlling your background. You can wash out your video if set too high. Contrast should be good around 80 - 85 range. If you go too high then you'll saturate the image. Basically your gray's go white and it's hard to distinguish between your higher gray tones.
Enjoy.