thats it - why is portrait mode no good for wide-aspects

Statross

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
both tims hardware and anandtech now have raised the pointlessness of having a portrait mode on a wide-aspect monitor.

never have they said that portrait mode is useless, only on wide-aspects, i'm very confused...surely you can only have a noticeable portrait mode on a wide-aspect monitor, i wouldn't notice too much on my 4:3...its uses are obvious...
1) for viewing portraits (duh) that includes photoshop images, etc

2) for offices: viewing spreadsheets, PDFs, etc

and probably all sorts of other niches.

i dont have a wide-aspect yet, but when i get one i'm sure portrait mode will be a deal-breaker for photoshop and programming.

perhaps i mis-understand something? but i really wanna know why, now, two sites have said its useless (anandtech in every monitor review).

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Nearly all the widescreens have a TN panel. And of course you know that TN panels are sensitive to viewing angle, especially vertical...

Besides the fact that your view would then be quite long but overly "slender".... when you rotate the screen, what was vertical is now horizontal. And unless you are veiwing square on, the image will appear to degrade when the viewing angle shifts only a few degrees.

If you want to rotate the screen, suggest you stick to a VA or IPS panel... 1600x1200, for example.

Statross

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
hmmm, yes, thats a good point, i never thought of that..i still dont know why they think portrait mode for wide-aspects is pointless, though...hats just for TNs after all