Best Non-Widescreen Monitor for Gaming

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Hey there, lately I've been looking into a new LCD to replace my 19" CRT Viewsonic. I was thinking 20" but I'll go bigger if it will fit. I've got about 20.5" horizontally and 23" vertically. I've been looking around for the best monitor around that size that's non-wide screen but a majority of them are. The only one I've had my eye on is the 20.1" Samsung 204B. Are there any other good monitors like this? If the monitor can fit those dimensions I will go as big as possible. As long as I can game on it and it looks great that's all I care about, money isn't much of an issue.

d0000h

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Why is that with normal LCD's and not widescreen?
Althought I said I didn't want widescreen this looks pretty good...
The blurring/smearing is true of all LCD monitors, including widescreen and normal dimensions. The only exception may be the two types mentioned earlier.

That being said I have read lots of comments from people who said they are gamers and not noticed any blury from various monitors both wide and non-wide screen. And of course some that said they did.

I'll have to form my own opinion in a couple months when I buy a new system and get my first LCD (22" wide screen). Will be getting either the Samsung 226BW or the LG L226WA or L226WT

-Deuce-

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
What do you guys think about the 204B? Anybody here own it? I did some price fetching and it turns out I can get the Samsung 204B and Samsung 226BW at the same price (roughly $485 CAD)... Still can't decide tho...

d0000h

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
FYI futureshop sells the 226BW for $450.

When you have it narrowed down, but both then compare them for a week then keep your favorite. Just make sure you know the store's return policy for Monitors (FW = 14days not the regular 30).

As well suggest you spend the time and color calibrate the monitors correctly many people have said that their montior didn't look too good out of hte box, but then spent some time calibrating/adjusting it and then it looks great.

P.S. Have you searched on line for reviews for the 204B? Go to newegg.com. Over 500 user reviews on 204b. I "Think" 206b is the newer version of it though. 2ms instead of 5 or 6ms.

-Deuce-

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
FYI futureshop sells the 226BW for $450.

When you have it narrowed down, but both then compare them for a week then keep your favorite. Just make sure you know the store's return policy for Monitors (FW = 14days not the regular 30).

As well suggest you spend the time and color calibrate the monitors correctly many people have said that their montior didn't look too good out of hte box, but then spent some time calibrating/adjusting it and then it looks great.

P.S. Have you searched on line for reviews for the 204B? Go to newegg.com. Over 500 user reviews on 204b. I "Think" 206b is the newer version of it though. 2ms instead of 5 or 6ms.

-Deuce-

I looked up on Newegg, but the 206B is actually the 206BW, unfortunatly no non-wide screen version of that. So what it comes down to is;
Widescreen - 226BW ($450) or 206BW ($380)
or
Non-Widescreen - 204B ($485)

They all look very tempting, hard to decide though. Although a lot of games are including support for widescreen monitors, I heard games that don't will have bands along the side, which I really don't want. I think I'll take your advice and try out the 226BW and see how it looks. It's too bad there are no newer 20" regular LCD's though.