What Happened to Tom's Excellent Monitor Reviews?

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
It seems that Tom's has been neglecting this product category (in favor, perhaps, of needless site redesigns - sorry) lately. The irony is, the Tom's reviews were always the best - they would always verify the manufacturers' claims of response time, inform us of the use of overdrive technology, inform us of what panels were used (the 6 bit vs 8 bit - I don't recall the nomenclature anymore; the latter has much better color reproduction).

It seems with the latest Vista-related craze to adapt HDMI interfaces at least an update is in order. Or the trend towards wide format displays which seems to be here to stay as practically everyone is transitioning towards 16:9 aspect. Heck, the best all around reference panel at Tom's, Viewsonic VP922 is no longer made in that flavor!

By the way, does anyone know of any other, more up-to-date sites with a similar quality of reviews?

UmeNNis

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I agree... I even have emailed them asking them to update in such a fashion lol! I'm afraid to buy a new monitor without seeing what Tom has to say about it... 8O

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Sadly, you're right. I have not seen a great article in a little while. But still solid. Whats the alternative, Anand? They're not much better. And the rest sometimes seem like downright hacks (Xbit included, sorry, although I did like what few LCD reviews I saw on there)

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
...(avoid Cnet reviews as much as possible)...

That makes me laugh. You know, Cnet started as a pretty decent (not great) CE review site, but lately even that has been questionable quality at best. And now they're doing cars?! And yes, their PC stuff is often downright moronic [as are their user posts, which, I guess, should give you a clue as to their core audience]

Agreed on the Cnet reviews and posts. I can't help but laugh when I see "reviews" for products that won't be released for months. :roll:
I also love the never ended Apple vs PC fanboi wars going on there. I can't tell you how many Dell/HP reviews have been ruined by Apple fans being mad that a PC outperform their mac in a game test.

Take this as an example:
So called review of the Dell XPS H2C 710
He posted a review of an XPS 410 :lol:

Well, anyway, any of the sites Kevin listed should be helpful and yes I think Tom's has gotten a little lax.

TRENDING THREADS