I am building a new computer soon (XHD + LCD monitors)

LaZyScV

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
so I want to get a good monitor to go with it, plus my current monitor only has Analog hook-up and has ghosting problems (12ms . . . Samsung SyncMaster 914V).

Anyway, I am undecided. . . . I really want to get an XHD monitor, but I do not think any of those have good response times. I do not want to pay $450+ for a new monitor that ghosts.
If I do not get an XHD monitor, I will definitely get the Viewsonic VX922.

All reviews I have read about widescreen monitors did not even get near 1680x1050 resolution when testing it in games; so I have not been able to get any help from those.

So, does anybody here have experience with XHD gaming? Is it worth it? Is there ghosting, and so on?

Edit: I am mostly interested in the 20" Apple Cinema and the Samsung 215TW. I am willing to pay up to $600~$700 on a monitor.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Perhaps the fastest, all-around good monitor is the NEC 20WMGX2... however it has the glossy, Brite screen.

The Samsung 215TW is also a good all-around choice.

However, neither of the above has as fast a [claimed] response time as the Viewsonic VX922... a gamer's choice, but still with a cheapo TN panel.

You're fishing in a good hole... you just have to decide what is most important to you... speed, or "everything else".

LaZyScV

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I will probably just get an XHD monitor, even though I am iffy about it.

If I am unsatisfied I will return it and get the VX922.

I may be out of a bit of dough from doing that, but at least I know for sure if XHD is ready or not; I really want to game in XHD. My favorite game supports it, which is Guild Wars.

And if I can stand the ghosting I get from my current monitor, which is a heaping pile of crap compared to a good XHD monitor, I think I will be happy with it.

What about the Dell 2007FPW and Gateway FPD2185W?
I do not like how the NEC looks, and how it does not have much adjustability . . . plus the reflection crap and its having problems with stretching everything in 4:3 ratio. If I want to play a couple games of StarCraft with a friend, I will be screwed.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I read in reviews that the NEC stretches it even when you change it in drivers.

If you want to be SURE your games won't automatically stretch, get a monitor which claims "1:1 pixel mapping". Most do not.